Wet/dry filter help needed!!!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Instead of filter pads you can use filter floss or Poly-fil brand traditional batting which is found at Michael's or fabric stores. This should allow you to get full coverage in the tray to prevent fouling the bio-balls.

It will require more frequent media changing though as it can get dirty fairly quickly. The Poly-fil may be rinsed out a number of times or you can move it around in the tray somewhat to extend its use.

You also might want to buy some egg crate (drop ceiling light grid) and cut it to fit so it rests on top of the bio balls and then you can add some additional batting or floss on top of that to catch more dirt.

However, before you add any media, I highly recommend you remove the bio-balls, rinse them off in tank water then keep them submerged in a bucket of tank water while you clean all the gunk out of the wet/dry filter. I also suggest siphoning out the mulm and dirt in your overflow compartment. This may require a bit of DIY using a length of vinyl hose and a piece of PVC pipe that fits the hose so you can reach the overflow compartment easily.

What is the aquarium size you have with the Eshopps WD-200? Also, which species of fish and how many are you keeping in this aquarium? The reason I ask is that it is possible the W/D filter is a bit too small for your system if you are keeping fish that generate a lot of waste.

BTW, thanks for posting the pic with the W/D lid lifted up!

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
Instead of filter pads you can use filter floss or Poly-fil brand traditional batting which is found at Michael's or fabric stores. This should allow you to get full coverage in the tray to prevent fouling the bio-balls.

It will require more frequent media changing though as it can get dirty fairly quickly. The Poly-fil may be rinsed out a number of times or you can move it around in the tray somewhat to extend its use.

You also might want to buy some egg crate (drop ceiling light grid) and cut it to fit so it rests on top of the bio balls and then you can add some additional batting or floss on top of that to catch more dirt.

However, before you add any media, I highly recommend you remove the bio-balls, rinse them off in tank water then keep them submerged in a bucket of tank water while you clean all the gunk out of the wet/dry filter. I also suggest siphoning out the mulm and dirt in your overflow compartment. This may require a bit of DIY using a length of vinyl hose and a piece of PVC pipe that fits the hose so you can reach the overflow compartment easily.

What is the aquarium size you have with the Eshopps WD-200? Also, which species of fish and how many are you keeping in this aquarium? The reason I ask is that it is possible the W/D filter is a bit too small for your system if you are keeping fish that generate a lot of waste.

BTW, thanks for posting the pic with the W/D lid lifted up!
I have a 150 gallon and my tank is stocked up for now they are all small fish. But I know they do produce a lot of waste. I have a lot of goldfish and plecos

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
If your tank is heated for the plecos that could be part of your problem. Gold fish are cooler water fish and can be extremely messy in warmer water

Reactions: deeda

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't keep goldfish but do understand that they need some extra filtration compared to even the messy cichlids. I have a feeling the Eshopps WD 200 won't be enough to provide great mechanical filtration for this stock set up.

Are you open to the idea of adding either power filters or a canister filter to help with the mechanical aspect?

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
I don't keep goldfish but do understand that they need some extra filtration compared to even the messy cichlids. I have a feeling the Eshopps WD 200 won't be enough to provide great mechanical filtration for this stock set up.

Are you open to the idea of adding either power filters or a canister filter to help with the mechanical aspect?
I can add a canister also? Or change it out?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would choose to add additional filters to the existing W/D.

What type of goldfish are you keeping, that is are they common, fancy, koi or just feeder goldfish?

You mentioned the tank is all stocked up now so approximately how many goldfish and plecos do you currently have in this tank?

Ideally, the goldfish should be in an unheated tank since they are considered a cold water fish. Room temperature is the usual recommendation but will vary depending on the actual room temperature. 78F is probably too warm for them and under 78F is generally too cold for the plecos.

Can you post a pic or two of the full tank setup?

Last edited:

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
I would choose to add additional filters to the existing W/D.

What type of goldfish are you keeping, that is are they common, fancy, koi or just feeder goldfish?

You mentioned the tank is all stocked up now so approximately how many goldfish and plecos do you currently have in this tank?

Ideally, the goldfish should be in an unheated tank since they are considered a cold water fish. 78F is too warm for them and under 78F is generally too cold for the plecos.

Can you post a pic or two of the full tank setup?
I have 4 goldfish that are common. And 3 plecos. And I have a lot of little clown loaches I'm growing out for somebody

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The easiest filter to add would be one or two Aquaclear 110 power filters as they are easy to service and do collect a lot of floating debris and poop in the tank. However if your tank is tall, you may need to DIY some extra long intake piping to get the strainer closer to the bottom of the tank.

It is a bit difficult to advise on adding a particular filter model without knowing the long term plans on this tank. A quick online search for a goldfish tank setup recommends 20G of tank per fish and heavy or excellent filtration and weekly 50% water changes or more depending on the water test results.

I understand I am getting away from your original problem with the mechanical filtration problem so forgive me for that. I think that adding either floss or batting as suggested in post #21 and an AC 110 or two will go a long way in helping the current problem.

I'd love to see some pics of your common goldfish.

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
The easiest filter to add would be one or two Aquaclear 110 power filters as they are easy to service and do collect a lot of floating debris and poop in the tank. However if your tank is tall, you may need to DIY some extra long intake piping to get the strainer closer to the bottom of the tank.

It is a bit difficult to advise on adding a particular filter model without knowing the long term plans on this tank. A quick online search for a goldfish tank setup recommends 20G of tank per fish and heavy or excellent filtration and weekly 50% water changes or more depending on the water test results.

I understand I am getting away from your original problem with the mechanical filtration problem so forgive me for that. I think that adding either floss or batting as suggested in post #21 and an AC 110 or two will go a long way in helping the current problem.

I'd love to see some pics of your common goldfish.
I may put a fluval fx6 with this filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store