Wet/Dry Users: What Size Sump and Filter Flow Rate are you using?

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Chaitika;2841238; said:
Yep, its about understanding how a wet/dry is efficient and maximizing it's potential, as opposed to following some phantom rule arbitrarily perpetuated on the net. :)
[/quote
Don't go saying that... there is actually a reason to have a higher flow rate but it makes your bio filtration less efficient, Higher flow rate means better mech filtration... It's all about finding a good balance between the 2
Another thing to keep in mind is if you're using a closed chamber, air should be injected with a small air pump and tubing. :)
not true... there are different types of bacterial growth for each, which is why canister filters don't have a built in aeration

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
It is exactly true if we're talking about aerobic filtration. There is no filter on the market that is intended to filter with aerobic bacteria as well as anaerobic bacteria. It may happen in a canister, but that is exactly what I don't like about canisters. The filter, bilogically speaking, is only as efficient as the amount of oxygen in the water.

If you are using a regular filter and you're getting anaerobic activity, it actually means there is a dead spot in the filter. Anaerobic bacteria can only function in an oxygen deprived environment. If that happens in a regular filter and you disturb it by shaking the canister or whatever, you will release some nasty gases.

Denitrators are filters intended for that type of activity. 10-15 years ago when reefers were messing with plenums, essentially deadzones under layers of sand in the tank, the intent was to create an anaerobic chamber to reduce nitrates. It didn't work so well since I think the idea was given up on.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Chaitika;2841238; said:
Yep, its about understanding how a wet/dry is efficient and maximizing it's potential, as opposed to following some phantom rule arbitrarily perpetuated on the net. :)

Another thing to keep in mind is if you're using a closed chamber, air should be injected with a small air pump and tubing. :)
Blast! :irked:

I failed again...... I have a regenerative blower blasting air in there rather than a "small" air pump.

Rays = Excessive everything = Happy rays. :)

This thread has given me many ideas.....
So would the water in my sump allready contain too much O2 from the bio tower to be able to sustain anaerobic bacteria if it was to say be pumped from the sump with a VERY small pump to another fully submerged sump (Jap style)??????

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Chaitika;2841299; said:
It is exactly true if we're talking about aerobic filtration. There is no filter on the market that is intended to filter with aerobic bacteria as well as anaerobic bacteria. It may happen in a canister, but that is exactly what I don't like about canisters. The filter, bilogically speaking, is only as efficient as the amount of oxygen in the water.
You are right, IF we are talking aerobic filtration... usually however your not going to be using a Sealed chamber for that type of filter however. It might be covered but not sealed... a covered box will allow enough o2 exchange (usully anyway) to allow for no need of a pump.

Perhaps my understanding of your version of Seal enclosure was different than intended :D

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
DB junkie;2841410; said:
Blast! :irked:

I failed again...... I have a regenerative blower blasting air in there rather than a "small" air pump.

Rays = Excessive everything = Happy rays. :)

This thread has given me many ideas.....
So would the water in my sump allready contain too much O2 from the bio tower to be able to sustain anaerobic bacteria if it was to say be pumped from the sump with a VERY small pump to another fully submerged sump (Jap style)??????
With a ray tank I wouldn't be concerning myself with too much o2 :D you can use all you want via normal methods... your O2 Level could be low or high depending on the amount of the drop and the amount of turbulance along the way. without testing your water to know where you stand to begin with your making an assumption only... but chances are good that you'd be just fine with that set up

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
basslover34;2841460; said:
You are right, IF we are talking aerobic filtration... usually however your not going to be using a Sealed chamber for that type of filter however. It might be covered but not sealed... a covered box will allow enough o2 exchange (usully anyway) to allow for no need of a pump.

Perhaps my understanding of your version of Seal enclosure was different than intended :D
Yeah, I think we were both thinking of different things. I didn't mean sealed, I meant enclosed. If you look at Amiracle's wet/dry's, you'll see that they recommend air injection. :D

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
basslover34;2841471; said:
With a ray tank I wouldn't be concerning myself with too much o2 :D you can use all you want via normal methods... your O2 Level could be low or high depending on the amount of the drop and the amount of turbulance along the way. without testing your water to know where you stand to begin with your making an assumption only... but chances are good that you'd be just fine with that set up
I'm not concerned with too much O2....:ROFL: I was being sarcastic.

I've alsways been intrigued by the Jap sumps and the possibility of anaerobic bacteria to be utilized after a big wet dry. Just not sure if it would work like I'm thinking it would.... I had my way with an acrylic tank that used to be one of those divided tanks you see at the LFS, and modified the dividers to force water over and under 5 different media chambers. Was hoping if this was fed with a really long water line and a small pump in my current sump, it would house anaerobic bacteria.

So you think it might just work?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
^^ I thought anaerobic couldn't live in an oxygen rich enviroment like an air injected wet/dry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store