What are these worms in my tank?

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
YOURE FLAT AND ROUND!
lol yes I suppose you are probably correct but either way are the same in terms of tank health and reasons for being haha.

I've been calling them planaria for so long its locked in my head now haha.
Thank you guys atleast i can have a peace of mind knowing these buggers wont puncture thru my skin and eat me alive lol.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I have these too. My tank is pretty clean. Not sure where they came from. They actually live on the surface of the sword plant leaves where little bits of detritus collect. The fish eat them when I stir them up into the water. I'd rather they were not there, but I don't really see what can be done about it.

Reactions: senegalrb

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The detritus worms r harmless and aren't necessarily from over feeding, they occur most commonly in planted tanks, if u don't like them a geophagus will probably eat them.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
My fish eat them if I stir them out, but they don't look for them in the plants for some reason.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
They are called "grindal worms" and are completely harmless. Many fishkeepers culture them for their baby fish. I'll bet if you disturb your filter media you'll see a few spill into the tank. They also like to live in the tank just above the water line.

But if you have a ton of em then it could be due to overfeeding. A few of my tanks have them and I think they're great!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store