What Arowana is this?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
We have a blanket ban on many freshwater species. To be honest i think it is mainly environmental concerns but with these fish being so expensive i dont think they would be in the wild for a full 10 minutes before somebody sells it

Reactions: BigBagAro

BigBagAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Singapore
I have seen silver for sale. Jardini are available and african i dont know.

I PAY MORE FOR A SILVER AROWANA... a 6" silver aro would be about 120 singapore dollars...someone needs to ship me a tank and i need to visit singapore...
Wow, that is quite expensive, but again a few species of arowanas in Singapore are immensely expensive. I saw a baby chilli arowana hybrid clocking in at 1,200 sgd and it was only about 4-5 inches. Maybe its bred from a well know breeder not too sure.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
We have a blanket ban on many freshwater species. To be honest i think it is mainly environmental concerns.
Yeah I figure your country and Australia are pretty much in the same boat as far as that goes.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Are snakeheads also banned in south africa?
Some are banned like the african ones. Bleheri are imported every now and again but also expensive.
Wow, that is quite expensive, but again a few species of arowanas in Singapore are immensely expensive. I saw a baby chilli arowana hybrid clocking in at 1,200 sgd and it was only about 4-5 inches. Maybe its bred from a well know breeder not too sure.
Some varieties are very expensive since the breeding stock are few and lots of effort is put in to maintain their bloodlines
Yeah I figure your country and Australia are pretty much in the same boat as far as that goes.
Lol. I will try and turn the ban over at some point, maybe i can get a permit

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I believe they are banned in U.S and Africa as the species are greatly endangered? I am not too sure but I believe in the wild they are close to extinction.
All Asian Arowana in trade market are farms captive breed.
About the wild species getting extinction not because of hobbist. Arowana is a daily food source in South East Asia (like SA folks eating Silver Aro)
Note:
With new technologies nowadays captive breed aro look way better in colour compare to dull color wild caught aro.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Sup everyone, this is my first Arowana and I believe it is a RTG Arowana. Now what the breeder I bought this fish from tells me that this fish is actually a hybrid rtg Arowana, anyone knows how to tell the difference or do I just need to wait for the fish to grow?

On another note, my younger brother knocked on the glass to try and tempt my ornate bichir to come out, and that spooked the heck out of my arowana, hence the fish is scared of everything and anything and even food. He has only been in this tank for 2 days now so i presumer food shouldn't be a problem in a couple days. How long will it take for the fish to get used to me and others? Any suggestions for how to cope with this problem?

Anyway I do hope someone responds soon. There is an attachment of a picture of the arowana below.

View attachment 1200456
If the seller unable to provide the fish Certificate then don't take the LFS words, they just trying to sell their live stock for money. Also, it's not a RTG (RTG 1/3 of their tail part will be in darker color, and darker top body part.), your Aro look more like Banja Red Arowana.

BigBagAro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Singapore
If the seller unable to provide the fish Certificate then don't take the LFS words, they just trying to sell their live stock for money. Also, it's not a RTG (RTG 1/3 of their tail part will be in darker color, and darker top body part.), your Aro look more like Banja Red Arowana.
Although you may be right, the certificate and bill given states its a RTG, and it's partially my fault as i realized this picture was taken with the red light on. Hence the red colour looks so vibrant. When I only leave the white light on, I see a dark coloration on the tail as well as a greenish black coloration on its back extending to its tail. I could be wrong but i did get the fish from a well known and high quality breeder so I guess I do trust them when they say it's an RTG. But I guess you never know, I'll just wait for it to grow and see :D.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Although you may be right, the certificate and bill given states its a RTG, and it's partially my fault as i realized this picture was taken with the red light on. Hence the red colour looks so vibrant. When I only leave the white light on, I see a dark coloration on the tail as well as a greenish black coloration on its back extending to its tail. I could be wrong but i did get the fish from a well known and high quality breeder so I guess I do trust them when they say it's an RTG. But I guess you never know, I'll just wait for it to grow and see :D.
Could we get a pic with the normal light. The red will probably still come out with size, good water and high quality food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store