What colour substrate

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'm not really the kind of person that mixes substrate so I don't know if it just my own preferences or not, but I don't think it'd look good.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I wouldn't mix it. From personal experience. It starts looking weird. I started with Tan pool filter sand sand, then some Aqua brand red sand, black, green, blue added. The substrate started giving off a weird amateur vibe, lol. I didn't like the aquarium look. Polys looked great as markings started to come out quite a bit. At the end, I just put in about 2 big bags of bright red gravel on top.

Go with what Dr. b stated earlier about just add enough to cover the bottom to see if you like it. I like that look of the red sand u posted from the allpondsolution web site. It might work out for u.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Thanks for advice. I'm also leaning towards the red sand from allpondsolution as it maybe a tiny touch bigger grain. The other one is really really fine sand. A few times a day my 17" endli charges around up and down so I'm guessing it will kick sand everywhere!

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
I have come across these red sand, one on the left is a nice size grain and one on the right is like gravel. What shade of red has everyone got as there seems to be many diffrent shades. Can anyone post some pics up of their red substrate. Thanksimage.jpg

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
So I have brought the substrate in my last pic on the left. It has turned out to be a super super bright red!!! My phone camera just reflects off this so I can't take a good picture. I want to ask is this bright red what people go for? Or do people go for a lighter shade or a darker shade? I could probably say the one I got is like illuminous red!!! Please give me some ideas!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think most want a red brick color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store