Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

What do you use to seal plywood?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects and Ideas' started by Chad55, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Chad55

Chad55 MFK Members

Jan 10, 2013
      Ok I want to do my pond with no seams. I was looking at freshwaterstingrays pond and I am going to kind of base it off that except it wont look as nice...lol. I just want to go with the paint that he used to seal it because it looks so good with no seams. I was just wondering what is the best stuff to use for this without spending hundreds of dollars? The pond will be 8x8x2.5-3. I found some stuff and was wondering if it would work? Thanks

http://aquanet.net/paint.htm?gclid=CL-t4pbCwIkCFS7OJAodLw7tUQ

Chad

2. eh1421

eh1421 MFK Members

Dec 28, 2013
    3. milkman407

milkman407 MFK Members

Yesterday at 4:19 PM
      this is for a pond? so it will be holding water? Why not just use the black pond tarp?

4. MilitantPotato

MilitantPotato MFK Members

Jun 29, 2015
      Sanitred products are loads easier to apply and won't crack on ya. Epoxy with fiber glass+resin is tried and true, either way if done right will work for ya.

5. johnptc

johnptc Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
      i vote for a product called pond shield......google it

6. Chad55

Chad55 MFK Members

Jan 10, 2013
      That pond shield stuff looks tough to install and a bit expensive... It looks nice and all but just a bit too complicated for me... And how easy is the Epoxy Paints by Sweetwater... How easy is that to apply/install? And what would you use to fill the seams? Also which of the sanitred products would I want to use if I were to go that route?

Chad

7. wizzin

wizzin MFK Members

Jul 20, 2009
      You'll use Permaflex and LRB/TAV. For that size, you'll need 1 gal of each. Should be about $250 including shipping. They have a pool calculator on their site under "how-to". Just go with the smallest pool size they have. It will give you 1 gal each. I don't recall the exact coverage per gal, but it's pretty good.

Oh, and tell them you want the 10% discount if you submit pics. All you have to do is take pictures of the install and send them a form that they'll email you if you ask ;)

8. MilitantPotato

MilitantPotato MFK Members

Jun 29, 2015
      Epoxy paints on top of fiberglass and resin (need fiberglass+resin or the paint WILL crack/puncture from the slightest impact or bowing of plywood under water weight) is a pain so I've read, sanding between each layer, rolling the fiber glass out smooth, no bubbles, all over 3-6 layers of the stuff I hear gets old.

Roliva did a tank using sanitred, documented it very well, here's his post in a thread I had a while back.
      http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=557003&postcount=13

Here's that thread:
      http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42109

Next to using dryloc (lasts 5 years if you're lucky,not meant for wood or constant submersion) sanitred could be the easiest route, plus it has a life time warranty that it will never fail, should outlast the plywood ya use to build the tank.

I'll be using this stuff in april/may when I build my 7x4x24" tank.

9. Chad55

Chad55 MFK Members

Jan 10, 2013
      So that sanitred will run me about $250 just to seal the pond? Is there anything wrong with the Epoxy Paints by Sweetwater? They seem to be easier and quiet a bit cheaper than everything else...

Chad

10. wizzin

wizzin MFK Members

Jul 20, 2009
      I don't think theres anything wrong with epoxy paint, but I personally wouldn't rely on it as the sole means of waterproofing. What I mean by that is that it assumes you have a perfect box. What if you have seams and gaps and knot holes etc? I don't think you can just glob on the paint and hope it holds. I looked at that too, but it seems too good to be true. I'd use it on an outdoor pond as a liner, but not in my house. Have you called them and explained what you're intending on doing? That's what I would do.