What is the biggest alligator gar?

ThomasL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
alabama
Mine was kept in a 1,000 gallon pond and that still wouldn't be near big enough for an adult

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
biggest ever was over 8.5 feet aand almost 400lbs......but thats' confirmed reports.....unconfirmed report of 12 and 14 feet suggest larger size possibly. there's ALWAYS a bigger one out there than the accepted world record

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Biggest captive raised one that I've seen would have been close to 42 inches long. Haven't heard of anyone raising one to larger sizes.
I think Vincent might have one bigger then that. TLKM definitely does in his pond but for a tank I wouldn't expect many people to have one close to 4' in length. Who keeps a 4' anything in an aquarium? The biggest red tail cat I've seen in a tank was around 30" but at that point the owner must realize an aquarium isn't right for it. Doesn't mean 30" is its max but it's most likely the point people say "OK time to find a bigger home". I'd assume the same with a gar

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think Vincent might have one bigger then that. TLKM definitely does in his pond but for a tank I wouldn't expect many people to have one close to 4' in length. Who keeps a 4' anything in an aquarium? The biggest red tail cat I've seen in a tank was around 30" but at that point the owner must realize an aquarium isn't right for it. Doesn't mean 30" is its max but it's most likely the point people say "OK time to find a bigger home". I'd assume the same with a gar
This particular fish has plenty of room. It's owner is definitely in it for the long haul. It is not even the largest fish in the tank.

It is my experience that many people can't "eyeball" sizes with any degree of accuracy. I'm always skeptical of claimed sizes without seeing something to reference against.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
This particular fish has plenty of room. It's owner is definitely in it for the long haul. It is not even the largest fish in the tank.

It is my experience that many people can't "eyeball" sizes with any degree of accuracy. I'm always skeptical of claimed sizes without seeing something to reference against.
So regardless of your friend who is not the topic of this thread, largest size 42" in captivity we will go with. Is that suitable for an 80 gallon tank? What exactly are you trying to prove with the 42" statement?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store