What kind cichlids in FL canals?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Ash;2358686; said:
A place called coral spings (its a park) I think... it had a black acara in it - this was a few years ago though.

Yes I know tiger sn's but from what I've been told there is a tig somewhere nearish the gun range - I have not personally seen it though. I guess there was a guy with a big aquarium that supposidly released the catfish or something. I dunno if it's true or not - but its not all that suprising.

Anyways yes we do have lots of snakeheads also.

You can keep fish that are legal to keep here in FL. You can't keep tilapia or snakeheads as they are illegal - if you dont live in FL and want to ship it to another state - dont do it it's illegal to ship and/or transport these fish also.
But we can eat tilapia and snakehead right?:drool:

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
MN_Rebel;2356995; said:
Thats funny, since almost all common cichlids are in the canals but im surprised that no one caught/seen discus, blood parrots and angelfish in canals since they are dead common in aquariums...

I would think they would be killed ,eaten by peacocks ,etc . There are small cichlids in canals and tetras,etc but fast types or types that live by canal rocky ledge .

I cant fathom an angel or discus surviving

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Ash;2358686; said:
A place called coral spings (its a park) I think... it had a black acara in it - this was a few years ago though.

Yes I know tiger sn's but from what I've been told there is a tig somewhere nearish the gun range - I have not personally seen it though. I guess there was a guy with a big aquarium that supposidly released the catfish or something. I dunno if it's true or not - but its not all that suprising.

Anyways yes we do have lots of snakeheads also.

You can keep fish that are legal to keep here in FL. You can't keep tilapia or snakeheads as they are illegal - if you dont live in FL and want to ship it to another state - dont do it it's illegal to ship and/or transport these fish also.

They are illegal but who checks unless you don't fish in a park.
I was fishing while back and was laying on my stomach with a line and tiny hook trying to position the hook between big rocks to catch a convict cichlid.
The police after 30 minutes drove by as someone called them and said some guy was trying to commit suicide by the canal.

The police and I had a good laugh and I asked if they wanted to see my fishing license and they said no they couldn't care less aslong as I didn't kill myself :WHOA:

Reactions: J. H.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
MN_Rebel;2359117; said:
But we can eat tilapia and snakehead right?:drool:

Everyone around here catches and eats talipia. I dont as sadly only catch 3 inch size lol and don't eat freshwater anyway.

Snake heads I have never seen

Flash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Davie Fl
Louie;2359594; said:
They are illegal but who checks unless you don't fish in a park.
I was fishing while back and was laying on my stomach with a line and tiny hook trying to position the hook between big rocks to catch a convict cichlid.
The police after 30 minutes drove by as someone called them and said some guy was trying to commit suicide by the canal.

The police and I had a good laugh and I asked if they wanted to see my fishing license and they said no they couldn't care less aslong as I didn't kill myself :WHOA:

Hahaha. That's a funny story. :)

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
my understanding was that the snakeheads were in broward, not so much in Dade, is this incorrect? I've never seen them

fishkeeper1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
GA
any tropical fish in GA? there isnt a very good river system, but some are connected to FL. i know theres snakeheads, but there all over.

seds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
Canada
Could someone ID the cichlid I saw in a florida lake? I put the picture in the "Tinfoil barbs in florida?" thread I made. I don't feel like posting it twice but might as well;

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/88seds88/100_5430.jpg

It is red/pinkish and around 6-8 inches long. Possibly albino convicts?
Possibly red devil? BLOOD PARROT??

Probably too hard to tell from this one (cruddy) picture.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
if they were red they were probably midas/red devil or maybe a mayan in breeding colors

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store