What kind cichlids in FL canals?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Seds i know that fish in the pictures ive actually held on inm my hand and for the life of me i cant figure out or remember what someone told me that was, (if it is the same fish) the way u described it sound like it though.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
sh are in both,2 kinds of sh also

fishkeeper,probably not
its not the connected to fl part its that it gets cold
from my understanding, the only established population of Snakehead is the cobra. I hear of Redlines in the glades, But I highly doubt it, as I have yet to see one caught. Also apparently Gachua, but again, I doubt it. There's so many different aquarium fish in Miami waters, that it's hard to keep track and know for sure. Also, As far as I'm concerned, there are no tems located down here; just lots "Miss identification". I've seen; Clown knife, Arowana, Snakehead, Oscar, Midas, Severum, Tetras, Tilapia, Mayans, Jags, Fl hybrid (mono,oscell) Pbass, Acara, Rams. I'm sure I forgot about a few fish.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
What'd I'd like to see is mfkers who live, or visit Miami to start a collection thread. So we can figure out locations of certain species, as well as identification. That way we can figure this out.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I've caught/saw Uros, oscars, tilapia mariae, buttikoferi, aurea.,salvini, managuense, peacock bass, swamp eels, severum, ports, red devil, snakehead, plecos, to name the non natives....

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
why arent there any fish like dovii, festae and umbee in these canals?
Uh duh? They just haven't been released yet or just can't compete.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
There's another part of that post that you didn't read I guess.

OR they can't compete. Which means they are getting eaten, or just cannot breed. Meaning the numbers of them in the canals are very very low. So more fishing required to try and catch them.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
IMO, these dovii, festae and umbee hasn't been release in the canals yet due to low availability of these species in aquarium trade. These species are the ones you probably won't found at Walmart, Petsmart and Petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store