What kind of budget should I be looking at?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
For the 600, how does this list look:
-Black arowana
-7 silver dollars (red hook black bars)
-Clown knifefish (royal variant)
-2 datnoids (hopefully I'll get some big ones, if I can I'll settle for whatever ones I can get)
-3 peacock bass (trying to find big ones, I think I will to a combination of orino and azul)
-2 gars (probably spotted and tropical, but looking for cuban)
-Motoro stingray (probably normal, but will be royal marble if I can find one)
-6 bichirs (probably a combination of the bigger ones, including ornate, congo, endlicheri, nile, etc)
-Niger catifsh
-2 oscars

That'll be all :) Filtration would be very heavy and weekly water changes as well.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
how much water change, because oscars need 70gal+ per fish
knives are 50cm+
black aros 120cm +
moto rays are big and sensative
p bass i have heard get pretty big
niger cats easy 70cm
bichirs are not too big of an issue unless they are HUGE
cuban gars 100cm+ (200 max)
datnoids 60+ (and round)
dollars can also get fairly sizey

im no expert on big tanks, biggest being 70gal, but this seems to be pushing it a little far

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
how much water change, because oscars need 70gal+ per fish
knives are 50cm+
black aros 120cm +
moto rays are big and sensative
p bass i have heard get pretty big
niger cats easy 70cm
bichirs are not too big of an issue unless they are HUGE
cuban gars 100cm+ (200 max)
datnoids 60+ (and round)
dollars can also get fairly sizey

im no expert on big tanks, biggest being 70gal, but this seems to be pushing it a little far
Yeah, I know they're big fish, however they do have a 32 square foot tank that will for the most part be free of decor (maybe a small piece of driftwood and a few small plants). Water changes will probably be around 100 gallons per week, give or take. Like I said, very heavy.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Yeah, I know they're big fish, however they do have a 32 square foot tank that will for the most part be free of decor (maybe a small piece of driftwood and a few small plants). Water changes will probably be around 100 gallons per week, give or take. Like I said, very heavy.
That's a very weak amount of water to change in a week but you mentioned top off so perhaps after a drip it will be flush. For reference I attempt to change roughly 75 gallons of water every day on my lightly stocked 300.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
What if I went with an all-Amazon biotope? What would a good list be for that? I'd keep the ray and aro and then throw in some cichlids and cichla. Then maybe a stock tank to keep those big polys in.

I have a meeting with him tomorrow - I might try and get lucky and show him VLDesign's 2,700 gallon :p
Doubt he wants 3000 gallons of water sitting in the school though... but who knows, maybe he's crazy like some of us!

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store