what to feed baby brown bullhead, less than 1/4"

ryanj612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
ive got over 350 baby brown bullhead that i caught yesterday and i put some cruched flake food into the tank with an aerator. what do baby bullhead that size eat? i know that they eat flake food uncrushed at an inch long bc ive got one that size to grow to almost 5 inches.

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
Yikes! That is a lot of bullhead!

Are you putting them in a pond?

I would think bloodworms would work for them?

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
How'd you get so many, I had larger bullhead eating sinking shrimp pellets, you could try to see if theyll eat those

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
the pellets mush out into like a powder after sitting in the tank for about a minute, they might like the powder.

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
How did you catch them? And where? And when?(day night dusk dawn?)

ryanj612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
i caught them with a net in my neighborhood pond in the afternoon. they were about 5 ft from shore. i guess someone said that he saw 5 schools of baby bullhead in the same pond so im going back tomorrow to see if i could get some more. ive put in some water from the pond for now and some algae plants for their food. they seem to like the algae or whatever is living inside the algae bc they swarmed it.

Northern Pike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Moving.......
ryanj612;4236170; said:
i caught them with a net in my neighborhood pond in the afternoon. they were about 5 ft from shore. i guess someone said that he saw 5 schools of baby bullhead in the same pond so im going back tomorrow to see if i could get some more. ive put in some water from the pond for now and some algae plants for their food. they seem to like the algae or whatever is living inside the algae bc they swarmed it.
shouldn't you let some be in the lake so they can become adults?

Psuedofire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Minnesota
Northern Pike;4236604; said:
shouldn't you let some be in the lake so they can become adults?
I think he said it was a neighborhood pond. Bullheads are not a prized game fish. I say net them all! The food value for them is also not of much significance for the ecosystem they are in because other fish do not like to eat their spines. When I was growing up we were encouraged by the Dnr to net schools of these baby bull heads and leave them on shore.

ryanj612

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
Psuedofire;4236629; said:
I think he said it was a neighborhood pond. Bullheads are not a prized game fish. I say net them all! The food value for them is also not of much significance for the ecosystem they are in because other fish do not like to eat their spines. When I was growing up we were encouraged by the Dnr to net schools of these baby bull heads and leave them on shore.
wow that is interesting. the bullhead in this pond do not have a chance of growing to adults. there are too many fish in the pond that want to eat them regardless of their spines. im going down again today too see if i can net some more. this weekend ill try to figure out what im going to do with them.

what type of cheap filter could i put into the water that wouldnt suck up the fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store