what to feed new red tail catfish

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
We got two Oscars at about the same time as we got the tiny 1" RTC (Lucy)
This was 9 months ago and although the RTC is now in the 14" range...the two Oscars have grown as well and are both well over 10" themselves. they are all still in the same tank by the way and will remain so until the size differantial warrants a change...

Lucy may well eventually grow large enough to eat a full grown Oscar but she's NOT going to do it in any 6 months. In reality we're talking closer to 6 years if at all...

The growth rates for the large cats all seem to suffer from what I call..."internet translation" Most of you ladies out there know exactly what I'm talking about..."I knew this guy who's brother had a 12' long guppy in his pond...had 3" fangs and everything...Used to feed it pitbulls..."

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Had a 24" rtc eat a 11" oscar no problems. It didn't look like it would fit, but after bashing it repeatedly into the side of the aqaurium he got it down. There wasn't even the tail hanging out. The same rtc at 28" ate a 16" LMB. Don't underestimate their diets or mouth size.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
oh, and rtc growth varies between individuals also. As I have stated elsewhere my baby rtc has grown from 1.5" to 10 1/2" in less than 3 months. It is by far outgrowing any catfish I have ever owned. He was 7 1/2" just 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: Longfindragon

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
necrocanis;1004824; said:
Had a 24" rtc eat a 11" oscar no problems. It didn't look like it would fit, but after bashing it repeatedly into the side of the aqaurium he got it down. There wasn't even the tail hanging out. The same rtc at 28" ate a 16" LMB. Don't underestimate their diets or mouth size.
:ROFL: oh, know, what's he doin now, he can't do that, it aint gonna fit,it's just to big, should I stop him, wait he gave up, no he's still doin it, damn what do I do? Oh wait,he's done.... just ate another one.:ROFL: Rtc's don't really care how expensive their next meal is and sometimes it seems like they just don't care how big either.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
luckily his meals were free, but I still hated to see them go. It was before I knew very much about fishkeeping. I knew alot about catfish, but not their behavior. I knew mostly anatomical stuff, and now I know both. I was stupid. I was also keeping him in a 125 gal. First fish I owned and the first fish tank. I started monster, and just got more and more monster over the years lol. I think I was in shock that he was able to get it down. He had already killed it before he started to eat it and I was like let's just see if he can do it. Man I was dumb lol. He was raised with that oscar btw.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
parker21104;1004341; said:
well considering the rtc is @ 4" in 6 months that thing could be up 14" easily and in with small oscars those will be dinner soon. heck in 18 months my rtc was 24" eating anything it could put in its mouth including my 12" african tiger fish.
Those oscars would probably reach 6" in that time. Wow, I guess rtcs grow fast. Yeah, if the oscars let the food get to the rtc, the rtc will try to eat them sooner or later :nilly:

Diniy Alex

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2018
Guys....i bought a redtail catfish last 2 days...but the saddest thing is he doesnt eating at all...i gave blood worms but he still doesnt eating...and last today it die...it 4inch its a baby

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Guys....i bought a redtail catfish last 2 days...but the saddest thing is he doesnt eating at all...i gave blood worms but he still doesnt eating...and last today it die...it 4inch its a baby
Welcome to the MFK!

Sorry to hear of your trouble. If your RTC only survived 3 days in your tank, something is very wrong. If there were no tank mates, the water must be bad, either containing ammonia and nitrite or not aerated adequately or something else is wrong - hardness, temperature, salinity, etc. Or maybe you bought it very sick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store