What types of sponge media

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
So im almsot done with my 135 gallon sump.. last part is media, the first part the water hits is going too be sponges im going to put filter floss on the bottom but does anyone have recommendations of sponges they like too place of top of my filter floss?

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would suggest using Poret foam as it's versatile, comes in different PPI (Pores Per Inch) and lasts a long time. Ideally you would place it vertically in your sump for ease of cleaning.

Do you have any pics of your sump set up?

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
I would suggest using Poret foam as it's versatile, comes in different PPI (Pores Per Inch) and lasts a long time. Ideally you would place it vertically in your sump for ease of cleaning.

Do you have any pics of your sump set up?
Ok awesome I'll take a look , is there a good PPI u suggest? And I'll take some

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In the uk I usually purchase it in packs of three. You get a coarse one (black), a slightly finer one (blue), and a very fine one (green). You may want to trim them for a snug custom fit.

You position them in the sump so that the water goes through the coarser ones first.

Then to finish the "sponge block" off some have a wad of filter floss to catch the really fine stuff and help polish the water.

The whole sponge block needs to be removed carefully and rinsed out in tank water on maintenance day. The filter floss, which is full of the very fine crud is usually tossed and replaced with new.

A word of advice. You need to position the sponges and floss in such a way that they are easily removed and replaced. And when you do remove them to clean them, take it easy. Just yanking them out sloshing about is going to release all their crud into your sump.

Reactions: deeda

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's some of that Porrett Foam Deeda was mentioning, just as it arrived and uncut.
I wanted enough, to stand vertically as a wall in my sump.
IMG_8768.jpeg
Here its cut to fit, it separates my pump, and biomedia section, from the planted section
IMG_8812.jpeg

IMG_8795.jpegIMG_8951.jpeg
I use shrimp in the planted section to help break down chunky detritus, and police gunk from the surface of, and in the porous parts of the foam.
When the foam gets plugged, I pull it and spray it out in the garden, with the garden hose.
My sump is a 6ft, 125 gal tank, run almost full.
As you can see, the pump bio-media section is about 15% of the sumps volume, and the only semblance of a baffle, is the Porrett wall.
The other 85% is heavily planted, with aquatic and terrestrial plants
IMG_3560.jpeg
The Porret Foam has been in use for about 4 years, and still viable (installed in Dec 2020).
My water parameters below
IMG_2021.jpegIMG_2020.jpegIMG_2025.jpeg
Left ammonia, next to it nitrite, and right nitrate
Another test below
IMG_0234.jpeg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The whole sponge block needs to be removed carefully and rinsed out in tank water on maintenance day.
Agree
But........When I pull the Porrett wall to be hosed down, no matter what I do, or how careful I am (maybe I'm just a bulll in a China shop) the entire tank and sump turn brown and get clouded with gunk, but withn 24 hours as the gunk rescedes and seasons the foam again, and the tank and sump are clear.
IMG_3918.jpeg
IMG_3885.jpeg

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Ok awesome I'll take a look , is there a good PPI u suggest? And I'll take some
Usually 20 PPI is a good choice though other pore sizes are available depending on your particular need. If you are in the U.S. or Canada, check out Swiss Tropicals for their foam sheets.

monsterK

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2023
Usually 20 PPI is a good choice though other pore sizes are available depending on your particular need. If you are in the U.S. or Canada, check out Swiss Tropicals for their foam sheets.
I got some left from green wave engineering,same thing as Swiss. Comes in different sizes and PPI. good quality

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store