Whats wrong with my texas cichlid?

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
fishie.jpg All he does is chillout on the bottom, hes alone in a 55 gallon tank and isn't that big. He just went through a 3 week non eating spree and, but he ate a couple pieces of shrimp in the last 3-4 days. any ideas?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
His belly looks sunken, perhaps your water is deteriorating from overfeeding? Your parameters would shed a lot more light on the topic. He looks very beautiful, I hope he's okay.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Add some air circulation, air stones, power head if not installed already, he'll be ok, maybe add a female to get his endorphins running!!!!! Good luck,, Nice looking Texas!!!!

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
ive had him since he was an inch big, and im unusre of the water params since i ran out of the testing kit, but it wasnt looking good about 2 weeks ago cause of a power outage

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Do you currently do frequent water changes? If not, that could contribute to his sulking (and your comment about the power outage suggests that recent water quality may be an issue). It's amazing what frequent water changes can do for fish health and vigor.

Also, you could try adding some dithers to stir up his interest.

numbah84

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Vacaville, CA
I think getting those parameters in check and maybe a school of silver dollars or danios will help make him feel a little better in there.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I agree on a water change, especially if two weeks ago it wasn't good due to the power outage.
May try doing water changes every couple days just to see if he starts getting more active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store