What's Your Best Cleaning Method? (Seriously, This is Gross)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi all! I've had an 80ltr (got it from my little sister) sitting in my yard for a few weeks now and I'm to scared to clean it... Seriously, its atrocious, my hubby was choking and gaging when he was emptying it out to swap over - and his stomach is usually pretty strong... Well guess who got stuck with the task of cleaning it out? You guessed it, me.

For those who don't know this tank got a water change maybe once every 4-5 months if it was lucky and was home to four decent sized goldfish for 3-5 years..

Normally I use a bleach and vinegar solution of one part bleach and nine parts vinegar, followed by numerous rinses and prime soakings but I'm wondering if anyone has a better way? This thing is gross and I don't feel like my 'usual' will cut it this time without a LOT of scrubbing...

I already have a various assortment of toothbrushes, scrubbing brushes, sponges and microfiber cloths to use, I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for cleaning a disgustingly filthy tank?

Thanks in advance. :)

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Personally i would put it in the yard put a garden hose in it weigh it down .....turn it on blast and just let it run for at least 20-30 mins or until the water overflowing from the tank is clear.....by then it should be safe enough to hand clean it since majority of the stench will be gone.

Once every 4-5 months?.....thats ridiculous....

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i never use bleach or vinegar. i use bar keepers friend and let it sit for a
minute then scrub or use a razor for hard build up & rinse very thoroughly.
always makes the tank look like new. same for acrylic but use a soft scrub
and dont use razors. also ill polish with novus after im done cleaning acrylic
tanks unless its scratched then ill clean it, sand, buff & polish.

make me some steak dinner with some beers and ill come clean it for you LOL!

your best friend in cleaning tanks.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Personally i would put it in the yard put a garden hose in it weigh it down .....turn it on blast and just let it run for at least 20-30 mins or until the water overflowing from the tank is clear.....by then it should be safe enough to hand clean it since majority of the stench will be gone.

Once every 4-5 months?.....thats ridiculous....
Thanks, I'll try the garden hose thing. :) The tank has been sitting out in the weather the past few weeks and is currently full of rain water, so that should of at least softened all the gunk on the sides a bit.

I know, if it was lucky it got changes that often. I told her (my sister) that if the 120ltr gets even half as bad as this that I'm taking it back off of her and re-homing ALL of her goldfish.

i never use bleach or vinegar. i use bar keepers friend and let it sit for a
minute then scrub or use a razor for hard build up & rinse very thoroughly.
always makes the tank look like new. same for acrylic but use a soft scrub
and dont use razors. also ill polish with novus after im done cleaning acrylic
tanks unless its scratched then ill clean it, sand, buff & polish.

make me some steak dinner with some beers and ill come clean it for you LOL!

your best friend in cleaning tanks.
I'll look into that, thanks. :) I'm not to keen on the idea of having to scrub it out, I'll be double gloving (long dish gloves over latex gloves) to avoid having to touch it. Its rank. :eek:

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Thanks, I'll try the garden hose thing. :) The tank has been sitting out in the weather the past few weeks and is currently full of rain water, so that should of at least softened all the gunk on the sides a bit.

I know, if it was lucky it got changes that often. I told her (my sister) that if the 120ltr gets even half as bad as this that I'm taking it back off of her and re-homing ALL of her goldfish.

I'll look into that, thanks. :) I'm not to keen on the idea of having to scrub it out, I'll be double gloving (long dish gloves over latex gloves) to avoid having to touch it. Its rank. :eek:
dab a little perfume on a bandana and cover your nose itll help
you get through the smell. and lol double gloves xD hehe must
be some real filthy tank lol

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
dab a little perfume on a bandana and cover your nose itll help
you get through the smell. and lol double gloves xD hehe must
be some real filthy tank lol
You have no idea... I'll take some pics tomorrow and post up, it has a rank red film over most of it... Its gross.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Just hit it with a hose or a pressure washer, I don't really see the problem here..
The problem is that I'm too lazy to scrub it because its disgusting, add to that the stench and my dislike of fecal slime and you can see why I'm not keen on the idea of bending over for half an hour scrubbing it..

Wouldn't a pressure hose smash the glass? If its possible to use a pressure hose I'll probably just use that with my bleach/vinegar solution. :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
red film? thats new lol
Oh yeah... Its GROSS! I seriously have no other words for it (at least not family friendly ones)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store