When did all leos become BD?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
back when mike (h20) began importing they had to meet certain criteria to be black diamonds.now that the waters are so muddy and alot are imbred with henlei to get the large spots I would agree with davenmandy with the 5 minimum criteria to be called a bd.
Couldnt agree more with the Henlei statement, said it for years. As for as the 5 criterias the only one I would argue with is the coffee Bean statement as I seen several wild caught that mike brought in that didnt have large perfect spots. And honestly I remember some that didnt meet all the criteria. One of the statements back then was they had to be proven to be from Soa Felix, I believe.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
05spurky your male was leo dad and bd mom

ive never been on board with the idea that guys were mixing hen back to bd to get better bds... There is a pretty big difference between the 2 i dont think it would be that easy to hide. And once that ray bred then it would have pups somewhere along the line that looked hen... I havent heard of this ever happening

As far as i understood bds only came out of sao felix. Whent they were all brought in there were many variants, some had belly spots some didnt, some were low end that looked leo/bd, some very high quality, and everything in between... Since all bds are still a p13, depending on the quality of the parents, you still have the chance of getting a bd pup that could resemble a reg leo.

All i rely care about is people being as honest as possible. I have no problem telling people the history behind my rays to the best of my knowledge.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
"Mutts" is a better/more accurate term for all these "BDs"

Only thing that should be called a BD is a real BD with real BD parents that can actually be proven. IF parents are unknown call it what it likely is..... A MUTT.
How do you get away with stating that if something doesn't have proven bd lineage it's a "mutt" yet you don't define bd at all? I mean isn't that the point of this thread, to help define bd, and you are trying to define something by using the same word in the definition? Like someone that doesn't know what an apple is and you tell them you likely have an orange if you don't have an apple...

I would be careful with the slippery slope of purism with respect to animals known to be of the same species (p13 for example) and yet vary due to either geographical locale or visible traits (the points likely in to be in largest contest here) because you never know who or what could be called a mutt these days...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
BD was defined along time ago. This thread is NOT about what defines a BD, it's about everyone using that term for any black rays. It's a fact. People are stupid enough to believe that people breeding rays aren't keeping tabs on what breeds with what..... It's total BS.

IF you're holding an apple and are stupid enough to believe it's an orange then you are part of the problem.

To me - IF it's black and white it's a mutt, it's your job as the breeder/seller to PROVE otherwise.

I for one DO believe that mixing Hen genes into the equasion raises chances for big dots, so I do believe a lot of these high dollar BDs are mutts...... Why? Cause nobody is proving otherwise. Try asking for parent pics - G13 classified. Why? Cause you're probably hiding the truth.

Reactions: ShadowStryder

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
The Hen also helps in stablizing a more round uniform spot, from my understanding.
You still have Jack Al? He is a perfect example.....Anyone would call him pure BD.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
BD was defined along time ago. This thread is NOT about what defines a BD, it's about everyone using that term for any black rays. It's a fact. People are stupid enough to believe that people breeding rays aren't keeping tabs on what breeds with what..... It's total BS.

IF you're holding an apple and are stupid enough to believe it's an orange then you are part of the problem.

To me - IF it's black and white it's a mutt, it's your job as the breeder/seller to PROVE otherwise.

I for one DO believe that mixing Hen genes into the equasion raises chances for big dots, so I do believe a lot of these high dollar BDs are mutts...... Why? Cause nobody is proving otherwise. Try asking for parent pics - G13 classified. Why? Cause you're probably hiding the truth.
You should try not to contradict yourself in the same post. Along your lines of thinking, each and every one of your wolf pack is a mutt. Don't try to prove otherwise because it's the sellers job to prove it not yours. Or wait, its your job to try to prove contrary to what the seller is selling. So are you the problem or solution? I'm confused now. Once again you say BD was clearly defined but you fail to mention the definition. (As a side question, maybe you would like to share with us your opinion whether or not a definition can change over time, as I am unaware of Black Diamond being a latin name to describe a sub species).

Let's make this simpler. BD and Leopoldi = P13. Italians and Saudi = Homosapien. Are you going to go as far as to say the product of an Italian and a Saudi person would be a mutt? I'd like to hear it.

Just for the sake of argument, because I am getting you fall on the side of those that feel BD only come from Sao Felix since you haven't explicitly stated, I can play the other side of this too. Take 2 homosapiens from Brazil. One has blonde hair and blue eyes, one has brown hair and brown eyes. Would the product be a mutt to you?

One thing I absolutely agree with you is the BDxHen thing. This is a hybrid. Like homosapien and homohabilis would have been or whatever, that's as far as my knowledge allows me to take the analogy. LeoxHen should never be sold as p13, regardless if you want to call it a Black Diamond or leopoldi.

Could someone please post a picture of a ray caught in Sao Felix without 3 rows of spotting, belly spotting, etc. and I would really like to see how many people call that a black diamond over a regular leopoldi.

I'm not being facetious, I am simply stating that in my humble opinion, there can't be one true answer to what a Black Diamond is as it is not, to my knowledge, a scientifically described term, merely an attachment to (and here is where the opinions, which can't be right or wrong by definition, differ) either a geographical local or the visual patterns on an individual created by hobbyists. If we wanted to start calling the nicest of the Hen's out there brown diamonds, or something else implying value, I would see no problem with this. Or if you fall on the side of the coin that says its geography, then you can call rays from the nicest producing locale whatever, though I disagree I still think that's fine. Just don't call it a p13.

I send pictures of the parents of my pups regardless if the purchases asks for them or not. I have been transparent in saying the mother is a regular p13 and the father is a p13 black diamond. 3/4 of the people that buy from me call their pups BD's, 1/4 call them black rays. I don't care to correct them.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
IMG-20160405-WA0011.jpg
20160423_173147.jpg

Pup in the front of that pic is the pup on the glass. Black diamond or not at first glance?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My wolves are mutts???? That's funny, I bought them as undescribed, guess what they are? A wolf I was able to justify the cost of and am very happy I bought them. I bought them without a name and could care less what people want to call them, personally I call them cute lil puppy dogs but have not been successful in getting anyone to pet my cute lil puppy dogs..... YET.

Seems like hobbyists might be ahead of science when describing species.... Look at the Characins - a fine example - How many ATF species was there when you found MFK? Probably less then there is now, same with Dorado. But again all irrelevant in this discussion.

But this has nothing to do with Wolves......

Please show where I "contradicted" myself.......

BD "traits" were discussed years ago, I'm not here to argue with them, want to know what they are go look it up...... I personally think they're a joke - 3 rows, belly spotting, flag tail, blue eyes?

The rays in the pics look like Leos to me. That's what I'd call them, that's what I'd peddle them as. I could care less if BD was in the name cause I look at BDs just like Marbles..... I look at the fish and look right past the stupid name, cause that's all it is, a stupid name.

Guess it "bothers" some more then others, guess it depends on what you stand to gain or loose from it. I could care less cause I'm very proud of my black "MUTTS" but IF I was the owner of a "BD" I'd be a little bothered by people calling my rays mutts if they are true BDs, but then again IF I'm spending BD money I probably have proof it is truley BD OR I just really liked the ray and said screw what everyone else thinks - which is exactly what I think people SHOULD be doing -do what feels right, screw the politics.

Last edited:

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I'm going to bow out of this one before it gets ugly. Degree of obsession with a hobby does not equal the amount of weight an opinion holds. The people's whose opinions count most don't bother with MFK. Because an importer who probably didn't even speak good English decided to call some rays Black Diamonds once upon a time (probably to sell them for more) does not equivocate what the term means now. You can go "look up" where you contradicted yourself in that particular post, but as parting words, not sure how you can be adamant about people needing to be incredibly accurate about, apparently parental lineage because you STILL wont clarify, and at the same time tell us it doesn't matter, look at the fish and decide if you like it. To each their own though, live and let live.

Good luck, I'm happy with whatever my black rays are, which is black rays with white spots. Unless someone is trying to sell knock off Gucci purses this whole discussion is irrelevant, yet seems to be quite important to a lot doesn't it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store