Which Angelfish variety?

vic1979

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2023
Hi

Looking to overhaul my tank setup.and want to add a group of angelfish but can't decide which. I'm ideally looking for a larger, taller than average angelfish but not altum.

I think I've narrowed it down to dantum (not albino) vs manacapuru but reliable info is scarce on the dantum. Does anyone have any first hand experience on which on the two is taller and also whether the blue on the dantum requires specific lighting to be seen?

Thanks, Vic

Reactions: tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hi

Looking to overhaul my tank setup.and want to add a group of angelfish but can't decide which. I'm ideally looking for a larger, taller than average angelfish but not altum.

I think I've narrowed it down to dantum (not albino) vs manacapuru but reliable info is scarce on the dantum. Does anyone have any first hand experience on which on the two is taller and also whether the blue on the dantum requires specific lighting to be seen?

Thanks, Vic
This thread is literally the perfect thread for me, I've been seriously considering dantum angelfish as well LOL. I've done a bit of research on them and I've seen them in person multiple times (specifically the blue ones you mentioned). I think the blue ones look fine under any light, so if you are planning to get a special light I wouldn't recommend it unless you are doing it for other fish, plants, etc.

vic1979

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2023
Thanks silverarowanaboi, I also wanted to throw the santa isobel into the mix but I have a feeling they will be ridiculous expensive...

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I don't know if you want a large school of them or just a pair of quality ones. Usually, at the local fish stores in my area they sell Dantums in pairs ($60-$80 dollars each or $120-$200 a pair).

vic1979

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2023
I'm after a group of 5-6 ideally, I can seen dantum and manacapuru online for roughly the same price (I'm in the UK and they were £25-30). But not sure which works best for me as the tank is quite large, 5ft, so want to get the biggest fish variety I can

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi

Thanks, Vic
Welcome aboard

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm after a group of 5-6 ideally, I can seen dantum and manacapuru online for roughly the same price (I'm in the UK and they were £25-30). But not sure which works best for me as the tank is quite large, 5ft, so want to get the biggest fish variety I can
Hmm....I don't know how much money you have for this, but if you are on a budget, I would highly recommend sticking with the "normal" angelfish. Each Dantum is expensive and not an ideal budget fish. However, if you have an extensive budget, go right on ahead, it would look awesome :D. Or, another thing is, instead of buying all the dantums at once, get pairs or one at a time and then save up for another one. It might take a while, but it could be worth it in the end.44

Also, welcome to the fun group. lol.

Reactions: vic1979

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Hi

Thanks, Vic
welcome to mfk

Reactions: tlindsey

vic1979

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2023
Hmm....I don't know how much money you have for this, but if you are on a budget, I would highly recommend sticking with the "normal" angelfish. Each Dantum is expensive and not an ideal budget fish. However, if you have an extensive budget, go right on ahead, it would look awesome :D. Or, another thing is, instead of buying all the dantums at once, get pairs or one at a time and then save up for another one. It might take a while, but it could be worth it in the end.44

Also, welcome to the fun group. lol.
Makes sense, it's not an aggressive tank at all so I can go for slightly smaller fish which will save me some money. I'm a big fan of going for the fish you want even if it takes time to build up the community :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store