Which is the most aggressive SA/CA cichlid in your experience/opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
The last two pictures are Amphilophus Labiatus red devil and female Haitiensis Black nasty.
wow.....all these different variations of labiatus I am just finding out about and I ended up getting my 2nd one in Dec. SOOOOO close in appearance to the one I lost 4-5 years ago. I have a lot to learn still about Amphs. Great shots, man, thanks for posting them!

EDIT: I just saw my 1st Haitiensis in January when I joined here and fell in love w/ them....more Black Nastys pLZ

Andy woods cichlids uk

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
wow.....all these different variations of labiatus I am just finding out about and I ended up getting my 2nd one in Dec. SOOOOO close in appearance to the one I lost 4-5 years ago. I have a lot to learn still about Amphs. Great shots, man, thanks for posting them!

EDIT: I just saw my 1st Haitiensis in January when I joined here and fell in love w/ them....more Black Nastys pLZ
Fotor_145095547543866.jpg

Fotor_145061989053116.jpg

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
convict are no where near the top they are way down there with oscars well maybe not that FAR down they are about as far down as JD

I had a 8 inch jd in 150 gallon with 6 jewels i sold him and he had chunks missing out of his head from bites he wasnt able to even hold his own from some nasty 4inch jewels in a huge tank where the smaller fish could mob him i guess

convicts are the same males i had to rescue and just gave away for free i was told to use them as dithers to even out aggression in my five star tanks BIG MISTAKE after a day they looked horrible i seperated them put them with baby cichlids and cleaned them and gave them away FREE they cannot handle aggressive fish the way some cichlids can in large tanks, texas are hit or miss red devils even at small sizes are usually still tougher than a convict lol which is funny pike cichlids al still tough, salvani are wimps when it comes to real tough fish, jewels last if they have a lot of room to fight they fight like mbuna with a lot of speed. One five star decimated a pair of convicts and their eggs. People think they are bad ass re the same people who think oscars are i have been keeping them for 15 years lol THey are not as wimpy as a firemouth or oscar but still they cant compete with the most aggressive out there.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
I heard some salvani get long teeth idk my jewels have killed most salvnii they fight with and im NOT TALKING my five star jewels im talking red jewels but people say salvnini get big teeth when older and will just kill other cichlids same size so i am not sure on them yet. PIke cichlid is a total survivor and very very aggressive at a young age put it with anything its a monster. Im talking the larger aggressive species.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
I heard some salvani get long teeth idk my jewels have killed most salvnii they fight with and im NOT TALKING my five star jewels im talking red jewels but people say salvnini get big teeth when older and will just kill other cichlids same size so i am not sure on them yet. PIke cichlid is a total survivor and very very aggressive at a young age put it with anything its a monster. Im talking the larger aggressive species.

Tim50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2016
In my experience I say "dovii". A full grown male dovii is designed to kill other cichlids.

alexknott2014

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2016
I would say either dovii or motaguensis, my 13" mota will give ANY fish a run for their money, I even tried a wolf fish as a tankmate..... NOPE

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
I would say either dovii or motaguensis, my 13" mota will give ANY fish a run for their money, I even tried a wolf fish as a tankmate..... NOPE
I havent owned too many SA/CA cichlids (salvini, jaguar, GT, JD, and a few others) but now that I have my mota, I would have to say they have to be near the top. My little guy isn't even 3" and he's killed 5 fish and pushed a GT to deaths door, if I hadnt returned it on time.

I put in a new plastic plant in the tank the other day and he attacked it for about 5 minutes until he was certain it wasn't alive....

I can't imagine what he's going to be like at 10"+

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store