~White Beani~

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
Aquamojo;3615935; said:
If Jeff got them from Rusty, then here's a shot of the same. I have five of them in a 100 gallon tank. This is the largest male. Rusty sent me a dozen F0 Beani back in April. According to Rusty the fish were collected in Rio Panuco...about 40k east of Mazatlan...way up on the ridge of the highlands of the Sierra madre (western ridge of Mexico...sort of across from the Baha Penninsula.

Mo, thats a beautiful fish but its not white. If there is a chance these rapps beani are the same, then this "white variant" is not too different. I saw a few other threads about White beani and other than dan woodlands pair which seem to have some red, they seem very similar. Lopaka has a male that might appear to be a bit more white than normal. If this is a different variant, its not too noticable.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
John Rambo;3618588; said:
Mo, thats a beautiful fish but its not white. If there is a chance these rapps beani are the same, then this "white variant" is not too different. I saw a few other threads about White beani and other than dan woodlands pair which seem to have some red, they seem very similar. Lopaka has a male that might appear to be a bit more white than normal. If this is a different variant, its not too noticable.

John,

If the fish in question is from Rapps...and it came from Rusty...this is the fish. The fish in the picture is still juvenile, so maybe a color change is in the future. I don't know. I dropped a note to both Rusty, Jeff and Dan to see if I can shed some light on the subject. I know there are variants among the species. I'm curious on the explanation as well.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
OK...spoke to Dan. There are two sources that I know of for the fish. One is Dan Woodland...the other Rusty Wessel (either through him or one of the retailers). If someone else is breeding them and selling them, I am not aware...not doubting...just not aware.

I saw the picture of Dan's on Aquabid...asked about the white. His response was that "Mine turned “white” when they bred. But that’s it. Basically the same beani I’ve seen with exception of the red unpaired fins." His fish are from the Rio Panuco on the northern west coast of Mexico. From what I am told...he is selling them faster than hershey bars at a fat camp.

For what it's worth...
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
Aquamojo;3618793; said:
OK...spoke to Dan. There are two sources that I know of for the fish. One is Dan Woodland...the other Rusty Wessel (either through him or one of the retailers). If someone else is breeding them and selling them, I am not aware...not doubting...just not aware.

I saw the picture of Dan's on Aquabid...asked about the white. His response was that "Mine turned “white” when they bred. But that’s it. Basically the same beani I’ve seen with exception of the red unpaired fins." His fish are from the Rio Panuco on the northern west coast of Mexico. From what I am told...he is selling them faster than hershey bars at a fat camp.

For what it's worth...
Thanks Mo. I couldnt resist, I bought some from Dan as well. Interesting how these fish circulate in the hoby.

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
Aquamojo;3620874; said:
It is at that. I can remember when everyone wanted a barred Midas...then the Zaliosum...then Yellow Labridens...now Beani. Sooner or later we all get what we want. Bring on the Ramsdeni and Steindachneri.
:drool:Ramsdeni:drool:

Jimmy Side eye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Birmingham(England)
Aquamojo;3620874; said:
It is at that. I can remember when everyone wanted a barred Midas...then the Zaliosum...then Yellow Labridens...now Beani. Sooner or later we all get what we want. Bring on the Ramsdeni and Steindachneri.

I want A.Macracanthus!!!!!!! but i'd settle for Ramsdeni :)

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
Wow, lots of good info!!

Thanks for figuring all this out Mo! I assumed what Jeff was selling was from Dan becuase I thought I saw Dan's picture posted on Jeffs vender forum but I guess I was wrong. Either way it's good to know that they are the same fish and what to expect them to look like. That will teach me to open my mouth when I don't know what I'm talking about:).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store