Who is eating the neons?

Doozie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Huddersfield
Hi
I bought a shoal of 8 neons last week and now only 4 are left. I've not seen any of the other fish bothering them but I suspect their are some late night battles occurring.

Can you suggest who the likely suspect is for eating the neons?

• 6 Torpedo Barbs
  • 2 Gourami
  • 1 Rainbow Shark
  • 2 Rainbow Fish
  • 3 Alibo Cori
  • 1 Plec
  • 1 African Dwarf Frog
Environment:

• 0 Ammonia
  • 0 Nitrite
  • Little Nitrate
  • PH Neutral

• Temperature: 75 degrees

• 46 Gallon tank (UK)
  • 48 x 15 x 18 inches
  • Tank setup for 11 months
  • Been no sudden changes in environment
  • No algae

• Artifical plants
  • Bogwood
  • Gravel

• External filter
many thanks

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Sounds like somthing is causing them stress...i.e the sharks...then they pop off and they (all of the fish) are eating them, they are only small so wont take long to be eaten....just my thoughts

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
before you add any new fish to the tank... you should quarenteen ..that way you can make sure they are healthy by watching them etc.. with out the risk of losing them in the mother tank... and then risking all the other fish... because it could be that they just were sickly and no one is quilty of eating them...

irishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
New England
When I had this issue it was caused by bala sharks being idiots..try to build some small areas where only they can get it, maybe a few caves in a corner..thats what i did and it worked fine, no losses and they come out more.

scrappy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania
my girlfriend had 2 frogs in with her angelfish and she put a new smaller angel in and about 15 minutes later the frog had the angel in his mouth....need less to say the frogs are gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store