Wild Caught Eye Biters

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I just wanted to share the wild caught male Dimidiochromis compressiceps that I have in the lab I am working in. The fish are for research so the tanks house plastic slabs instead of slate and pvc pipes for hides. They do get some live plants at least and the tanks have excellent filtration. As for the snails, well that would be the lab techs overfeeding drastically. . . I wish I had more control over these tanks. . .
When I am done using them for breeding purposes for my project they will go back into the 300+ gallon fiberglass holding tank, but for now they need to be in the smaller glass tanks so that I can identify holding females and spawning activity. Anyway, I just wanted to share the male here for the colors he has. All the females and males that haven't colored up are F1s the males here that are colored up are wild caught. Enjoy. Slide1.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG

Reactions: Mokujin22

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Your project made me remember my college time :) we got both fresh and marine setup in our lab...not much about fish we caried in there but I missed all the tools and expensive stuff that we used to keep track and record/monitor all water parameters 24/7 and of course godly filtration system :p

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
The filtration is awesome to be honest! We have a cold lab (stickleback), a tropical lab (Rift Lake cichlids), and there's a salt lab way in the back that I have no idea who uses. I'm doing behavioral stuff, so I don't mess with any of the equipment for monitoring stuff but I get to play with the fish all day!

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
We added in a group of F1s from our big fiberglass tank in January and none were colored up. Just in the last two or three weeks there have been three F1 males that have decided to compete with the big guy. No spawning in that tank yet, unfortunately. But it has been interesting to watch them determine their dominance in the group. There was some courtship activity back in March, but the male was so concerned about other fish that the female eventually got disinterested and left. I can't wait to get to reorganize these tanks if/when I get the PhD spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store