Wild Jackson Chameleon Drinking From Pond

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
IMG_9768 (3).JPG IMG_9769.JPG IMG_9767 (2).JPG Had this female drop down and looked to flick the water with her tongue, not sure if feeding or drinking. There are a ton of introduced Jacksons in the area, not often do they drop down, I usually see them higher in the trees though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That is awsome to have them in your backyard:) As an invasive species do they cause major problems for the native wildlife? Btw great camera shots:)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
They may affect native insects populations but the areas they have colonized are disturbed areas with not a lot of native flora/fauna. I like having them around, after high wind, you tend to see them on the ground. I'm guessing the wind knocks them out of the trees.

As kids you never would see them, only last 5-10 yrs started noticing them

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Love it. Do you guys consider them "Invasive" like they cause problems, or just "Introduced" because the benefits of having them outweigh the positives? I know they are illegal to take from the wild by citizens, but the does the HI-Gov't do culling or work w/ local wildlife authorities to keep the population in check?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Love it. Do you guys consider them "Invasive" like they cause problems, or just "Introduced" because the benefits of having them outweigh the positives? I know they are illegal to take from the wild by citizens, but the does the HI-Gov't do culling or work w/ local wildlife authorities to keep the population in check?
Locally people seem to like them but the state does consider them invasive. The studies I've heard have concluded that they haven't had a major impact environmentally at this point. We did have a small population of panther chameleons the state did eradicate.

Its actually legal to sell them in Hi, I know people who collect them and sell to LPS(this was years ago but i'm pretty sure they aren't restricted because of their introduced status).

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Locally people seem to like them but the state does consider them invasive. The studies I've heard have concluded that they haven't had a major impact environmentally at this point. We did have a small population of panther chameleons the state did eradicate.

Its actually legal to sell them in Hi, I know people who collect them and sell to LPS(this was years ago but i'm pretty sure they aren't restricted because of their introduced status).
Oh, I was told they were made illegal to collect as a preventative measure to discourage people from wild-farming them in HI specifically for the reptile trade, otherwise dozens of people would be collecting them, pairing them up and everything after.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I do remember a guy maybe 10 years ago who would collect them and was mailing to N.America and he got in trouble but not for the collection but for the export.

All the pets stores still carry them but I'll have to double check reg about collection

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store