Wild Pacu Feeding Time s.Florida

Lukanani guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
FL
Footage from October, this lake a fellow fisherman told me about. they're used to being fed every afternoon.

love the pacu!

Reactions: tlindsey

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I could sit there all day and watch them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's nice for you but, overall, this is awful.

Cases like this chip away daily at our freedom to practice our hobby responsibly. Eventually, we'll go down the Australian scenario. The state will have to play nanny and protect the public from its stupid self by taking away "the matches from all the kids because of the irresponsible fire-starters, no matter if 90% are responsible or 10%".

I am pretty sure when FWC (Florida Wildlife Commission) finds out / sees this, they will eradicate the pacu or the whole lake life, whatever's more feasible. Just a matter of time.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty

Cases like this chip away daily at our freedom to practice our hobby responsibly. Eventually, we'll go down the Australian scenario. The state will have to play nanny and protect the public from its stupid self by taking away "the matches from all the kids because of the irresponsible fire-starters, no matter if 90% are responsible or 10%".

I am pretty sure when FWC (Florida Wildlife Commission) finds out / sees this, they will eradicate the pacu or the whole lake life, whatever's more feasible. Just a matter of time.
You do know multiple lakes and rivers in Florida have Red Devils, Midas, peacock bass and all sorts of fish even Flowerhorn roaming around. Wouldn't be surprised if even arowana were around.

I was on YouTube and they catch some crazy fish in Florida.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty

Also this is not just people throwing away fish into these rivers and lakes apparently floods have taken fish farms and all sorts of fish not native there have gone into rivers and lakes. There's a guy online who catches convict cichlids with nets. A pacu is the least of their worries

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right, mate. Florida's messed up already pretty bad.

That's exactly why I said what I said. At some point the State will say: Enough is enough, the trade is nearly unenforceable, the situation is dire and ~ uncontrollable, so why don't we cut this song by stepping on the throat.

Pacu is of a concern to the State as it is a piranha and looks like its scary cousins the flesh-eating pirahnas. People like to create a buzz, scandal, an impression, a splash, and to make it juicy or scary even if it is not = it's publicity to them, journalists and laymen alike all seek 15 sec of fame. And to accomplish that people like to cite grossly exaggerated accounts of pacu trimming interesting male parts of skinny dippers... Add two and two together...

And now you'd understand that Florida does not need bad publicity when it comes to either water recreation or nature tourism in Florida because it is big $$$, it's our livelihood, it's why people visit us.

That's why the dangerous fish are prohibited - electric eel and catfish, snakeheads, piranha subfamily Serrasalminae, etc. - see here http://www.myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/regulations/prohibited/
Electric catfishes- Family Malapteruridae, all species
African tigerfishes
Walking catfishes - Family Clariidae
Parasitic catfishes
Electric eel- Family Electrophoridae
Lampreys- Family Petromyzonidae
Piranhas & pirambebas- Subfamily Serrasalminae
Snakeheads- Family Channidae
Tilapia
Trahiras- Family Erythrinidae
Airsac catfishes- Family Heteropneustidae

While at it, it would not hurt to familiarize oneself with the conditional FL species: http://www.myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/regulations/conditional/
Dorados
Tilapia
Asian Carp
Catfishes
Nile Perches
Arowanas
Bony-tongue fishes
Freshwater stingrays
Bass

I am not pounding you, friend, but using your kind, interesting post to raise awareness. We can absolutely never, ever do enough of this.

It's one of our MFK missions. We want public and hobbyists at large to be educated and adhere to right practices and to know MFK as a major promoter of responsible, legal, and humane fish-keeping as a hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thekid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store