Will electric blue haps be ok?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
There's always a possibility that it'll work, like duanes mentioned. I haven't had any luck, I had 2 dragonblood peacocks in my 125, I had to end up removing one after he kept the other hiding in the corner.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
The smallest one stays in the corner, but they are all really shy right now. They all have spots where they go to hide. I see them out swimming and then I come into the room and they all go to their hiding spots.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
In a very large tank with lots of other fish and no females they might be fine together. Or...they could kill each other. It's risky.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I think the one without much color is actually a male. What do you mean by very large? They are in my 40 with 2 plecos and i am going to eventually move them to a 55 and at least one pleco.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You can get away with multiples of the same male easier in a 72" tank. For all-male in a 48" tank I think one of each works better. Or do a fryeri species tank with 3m:12f. Then the dominant males will have lots of females to distract them.

It makes sense that the colored ones are picking on the non colored one whether the drab fish is male or female.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
You can get away with multiples of the same male easier in a 72" tank. For all-male in a 48" tank I think one of each works better. Or do a fryeri species tank with 3m:12f. Then the dominant males will have lots of females to distract them.

It makes sense that the colored ones are picking on the non colored one whether the drab fish is male or female.
What do you mean by one of each? My plan was to just move all 3 to a 55 once they grow. The fish that doesn't have a lot of color has a little bit of blue. Does that mean that it is a male?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
A little bit of blue does not absolutely mean it is a male. Try isolating him for a week or two and see if he colors up.

The stocking that works almost all the time is either all-male, one of each species and no look alikes.

Or mixed gender with 1m:4f of each species. A variation on this, since you have 3 males, would be (for a 55G) 3m:12f with all fish being fryeri (a species tank).

What is your ultimate plan for stocking the 55G?

Other stocking plans might work, but they are less predictable. If you know what to look for, have extra tanks and a rehoming plan...no reason not to try things.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I don't have a tank to isolate him in. My ultimate plan for the 55 is just to have the 3 haps. I am not going to aquascape it. It is just going to be a bare bottom tank. I am going to build a shed for a fish room and once that is done I will move them to the 55. I have the 55, but it is not currently set up. I am going to set it up in the shed once the shed is finished.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
For any Malawi tank you want more than 3 fish to manage aggression. Go for the 3m:12f idea. If they are 1.5" or more I would go ahead and put them in the 55G now.

They might be OK in a bare tank, but it could be stressful for them to have no cover whatsoever...at least I would add some large rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store