will his lip ever grow back ?

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
peathenster;3760626; said:
You'll probably get better feedback (or guesses) if you can post some pictures...
yeah man if you have a camera, you need to post pix.. That's the rule!

BastardFish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
West Coast
If it is only a little damage to the actual lip than yes it will most likely grow back. However if it is like most P Bits I have seen on cichlids and like what I personally had happen years back with a large male Jag. Which is the lip area & a part of the lower jaw that gets ripped off along with it. Than the answer is no that does not and will not grow back! If the fish is somehow able to still eat than it will live and it is possible. My jag lived for 5 years after the incodent and grow to over 13.5'' before he meet an untimely end via the Cat!:grinno: A picture would be worth a thousand words and best guesses though to tell you for sure. Take one and post it up.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
"Healing" and "growing back" are two different things.

Regardless, the fish shouldn't be allowed to suffer. If it were me and the damage was as bad as you describe it, I'd euth the fish.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
no way im euthanizing him yet. if it dosent grow back i definatly will but im going to give him a chance to see if it will grow back first. hes eating albeit once or twice it does "fall out the bottom" but for the most part he eats and succesfully swallows saw him pick through the gravel today like most of the cons do so he cant be too bothered by it. ill give it a few weeks and see how its progressing and if it isnt getting better ill consider euthanizing

ill see if my dad will let me use his camera and take some pics worst comes to worst ill take him out into a net and get a close up video of the damage with my Ipod which actualy doesn't have half bad picture quality and post it up on youtube and put a link in this thread

jmatthewvan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
Mukilteo,WA
My male Buttikoferi got his lower lip fully bitten off twice during spawning with my female Butti.Each time it grew back 100% in about 2 months or so.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
jmatthewvan;3762786; said:
My male Buttikoferi got his lower lip fully bitten off twice during spawning with my female Butti.Each time it grew back 100% in about 2 months or so.
good to hear lets hope cons regenerate in the same way

calicichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
SoCal
Yes it will grow back. If aggression continues i think you should seperate. treat with Melafix and depending how bad 2months you should see signs of wound healing.

LobstersGoPeenchPeench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Iowa, United States
i bet he learned his lesson
"it falls out the bottom" hah. ridiculous
but i bet it grows back. but remember ur piranha has tasted him. now the frenzy will be on for the parents. hope u have some caves that only the cons can get in

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I thought lips generally wouldn't grow back...but I was wrong...now it may depend on the size/age of the fish and if its still growing...or it may not I have no idea. But on one of my africans I had the lfs people move it out the original tank so it wouldnt get sold before I went and got it a couple days later. In that time someone traded in a fish and put it in the same tank and it beat the snot out of my fish but I still got it. The lip was gone...seeing teeth and all...now 6 months later u cant even tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store