Will I lose this battle? Another amusing girlfriend/wife thread.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I recently gave my girlfriend my 180g tank after upgrading to a 300 for my gar/polypterus collection. She adamantly refused to help with any aspect of maintainance on the 180 when my stock was in there and would often blow up on me when I had to, say, pause the movie to commence a waterchange or feed the tank. Generally, she wouldnt even "hold this thing for one second while I do this other thing really quick." OK, OK--I'm not giving her quite enough credit. Sometimes she would hold things for me while I quickly did other things.

So...

Am I going to end up maintaining the 180 for her now that she's dead set on it being her tank in the house? Should I just do it to be the good guy? Should I be spiteful about her previous attitude and sit on the couch sipping lemonaid while she slaves to clean the filters? Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

I'm mostly joking. I will be as helpful as I possibly can as I am madly in love with this beautiful, creative, and kind woman. But what about you? What sorts of experiences have you had with your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend in this realm? I'm curious to hear how this has gone for you.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
My 300 is now stocked, by the way!!! Be sure to click the link in my tag and comment!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You know...you never win if you try to fight with your girl friend or wife or fiance... :p
To avoid any issues down the road then best option...you just do it and be a good man...it's your fault to pass down that 180 to her LOL

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
If that was me, it would be a plan that back fired... buying them something that you really want with the hope they eventually give it to you instead. Like.. "here Honey, I got a nice fold of Snap-On tools to keep in your car".. and then when they keep it instead its impossible to back track... "Uh, please don't really touch anything on your car"..

Reactions: West1

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I would have used it as a sump and never offered it up.

My wife had "her" own tank. But I maintained it, fed it etc. Lets just say im glad that tank is now a sump ;)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've had pretty much the same scenario with my gf few years back , she wanted my old tank I had in storage for a flowerhorn , she already knew the work / cost involved in fish keeping because of me doing wcs etc all the time on my tanks , so she got her flowerhorn it was great for few years she did quite a lot of maintenance (obviously with a little help from me along the way ) then it got duck lips died she was devastated never bought a fish again and I ended up filling the tank with growouts lol , just wait you'll soon have yourself a growout 180 tank ;):D in the meantime bust out the lemonade lol

PassengerTN

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 21, 2015
Allowing my wife to have "her" tank allows me to have whatever I want, even if it does come at the cost of doing "her" maintainanece, feeding, etc. The only thing that makes it "her" tank is she picked out the inhabitants, a bunch of Dalmatian Molly's and zebra danios haha. I don't mind though because she let's me blow money on fish/supplies I want.

Reactions: TripleW

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Break out the Lemonade :D
So tempted. Might even buy a Hawaiian shirt. There is a couch right beside the 180 too, with a perfectly sized footstool.

I would have used it as a sump and never offered it up.

My wife had "her" own tank. But I maintained it, fed it etc. Lets just say im glad that tank is now a sump ;)
I almost used it as a sump for the 300, but found a 135 for dirt cheap. The dimensions on the 180 are pretty nice for the width.

We will be adding Axolotls to the 180. Thats a whole lot of room for a critter that spends 90% of its life doing absolutely nothing, but they ought to be really happy little creatures. She LOVES the things. Possibly more than she loves me. Talks to them all the time and everything. I think I'll at least do the lemonade thing for a few WC's. It's going to feel so rad. My oh my...the s***storms that have happened as result of me asking her to pass me a net. ROFL.

She already has a guppy breeder tank that I got for her. I maintain that tank already. Sometimes I joke that I'm going to throw one of my trop gars in the tank for a few days. Probably a mean joke--she cries when they pass.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
without reading anything in the op

YES, you will always lose the battles. our efforts are in vain. it's our curse. we can't live without them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store