yepezi ray

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
dmopar74;1386390; said:
so Miles, are these false yepezi's easy to get, i mean could you get one? are they hardy like a motoro?a begginer ray?
They are easy to get.. they are cheaper than Motoros, and they come from Peru in high numbers..

Exporters mis-identify them because they don't know any better.. their father might of called it hystrix so they call it hystrix..

They can false advertise all they want when it comes to fish species.. its pretty common actually..

kootenayrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
canada
I was under the impression that PAEX was supposed to be totally reliable
and knowledgable , yet their own site lists yepezi for sale with a pic. Its that
kind of misinformation that make this biz a pain in the butt sometimes. I don't
like having to undo the damage others cause by this.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
so im betting that my lfs thas is selling a "hystrix" for 80$ is really what im looking for? it deff. doesnt look like a motoro and if they can keep it alive i know i can!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The false yepezi's scientific name is still Potamotrygon cf. Yepezi, so its an acceptable COMMON name..

Like I said, the exporters have alot of confusion and mis-identification and it has a trickle down effect.. so when importers see the list, they consider it factual evidence, when they may or may not have any good knowledge of rays..

I just see alot of 'new' importers get excited when they see Yepezi or Hystrix on the price list, and receive something they weren't expecting..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
dmopar74;1386419; said:
so im betting that my lfs thas is selling a "hystrix" for 80$ is really what im looking for? it deff. doesnt look like a motoro and if they can keep it alive i know i can!
It's not a true hystrix.. my LFS has these falsie 'hystrix' too.. I tried to tell them, but some people are just ignorant and fail to recognize factual evidence..

We've had the Yepezi discussion before a few times..
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108103&highlight=yepezi

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
sorry for all the questions Miles, i just want a ray(having never owned one) that will be hardy and preferably isnt a motoro, just because ive seen a million of em. this false yepezi is what i want, and i too live in WA so i thought youd be the man to talk to bout rays. what other rays could i keep? tank size is always upgrading so thats not an issue. thanks for your time.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hopefully I will import some soon and get some breeding stock of falsie yepezi.. will be a few years until we find out adult max size though..

Talk to Dave in Seattle, he might help you with CB hystrix when they reproduce..

I will keep you updated if I see anything.. or if I import ..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store