Yup, another Heater Controller thread...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Well I woke up today and to my surprise the Catalina Aquarium heater controller had no power to it. My back-up digital thermometer read 78.3* F (which is about where it should be). I unplugged the controller and then plugged back in. It's been running properly all day (keeping an eye on it). I do know that the controller will shut itself completely off IF the temperature reaches a certain max (around 92* F)? But I'm fairly certain this isn't case unless the controller became defective and turned on to that temp and ultimately shut itself off?

Are the Aqua Logic "Nema 4X" basically a rebranded Ranco that's ready for the tank? Anyone use this particular model from Aqua Logic? I'm thinking it's just rebranded and they jacked up the price. Else I may go the Jehmco sight and check it out.

I'd rather not play Russian roulette at this point with the controller I currently have. Thanks for any feedback.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Mopar, where did you get your Ranco, and, do you have the heat shrink on the probe?

I'm curious for the rebranded Ranco that are marketed for aquarium, if they have accounted for that?

Aside from ETCRanco, I've looked at Aqua Logic and Jehmco...I think all basically the same product?

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
I have the reef keeper lite which i got for $99 a year ago...it does heat control obviously, as well as a lot of other functions that are useful even for freshwater...for a few bucks more i think it is a way better option than the rancho IMO since it does more than just heat. The Google machine just told me they are going for $119 now...but i haven't looked into it.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
i have a johnson A419 on my reef, and a ranco etc-111000 on my freshwater. both do the job well, fairly simple to wire and set up. put heat-shrink on the probe for both.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I had done some really brief reading on the reef keeper, and I can see how it's really appealing - especially for the price. Are there two receptacles (of the four) that can accommodate 2 500 watt titanium heaters? Can I use an adaptor to plug two heaters in one - or is that overloading?

Aside from heat control, I could see how I would use it to do things like shut off my lights in the summer if the temperature got to a certain point. My light itself (AquaticLife T5 HO 72") already has a fairly basic but effective program to turn on the T5 at different hours of the day. Top off - I use the Smart ATO to top off my sump. I do like the ability to receive notifications as an add-on capability.

Having said all that, there's something I just like about having a temp controller dedicated to just my heaters (of course I use the Ranco connected to the Reef Keeper LOL - for more redundancy).
=======================

appak, I spoke to Jehmco, and they said there's no need to add the heat shrink! But I am aware that ETC/Ranco advises that for submerged probes and is called out on the ETC sight. I was going to go for the Jehmco for the pre-wired with additional receptacle. I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but Jehmco mentioned they sell a lot of these for aquariums and have never advised it. I wonder if the probes are actually identical between all the sellers?

sorry for the long post...

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I have bought all of my Ranco controllers from Jehmco. Never once put heat shrink on them. Never had a problem.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks Pharaoh - how long did you use it may I ask?

I'm leaning towards the Ranco sold by Jehmco at this point. The "ETCI - IR" to handle 1800watts should be more than enough. I'm just going to get the prewired for convenience with the extra receptical. Hopefully this gives me some peace of mind, we'll see.

ECT Supply has the metal NEMA 4, but that's probably overkill and I won't be used outdoors. They want ~$140 for the extra plug.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
i have a johnson A419 on my reef, and a ranco etc-111000 on my freshwater. both do the job well, fairly simple to wire and set up. put heat-shrink on the probe for both.
Do you have to heatshrink just the actual probe or all the wire that will be submersed? Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store