Yup, another Heater Controller thread...

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
It's seems so much cheaper to buy it on amazon. Do you figure jehmco does something to the probe prior to repackaging it or would it be the same as buying this one for $45 on Amazon. I don't mind wiring it.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup if you want to wire yourself there's better prices out there. I don't think you need to be an electrician but the time I get everything and wire it's worth the $90. 14 gauge cord for 1800 watts with two receptacles.

ETC Supply I've come go know will do specific wiring for the NEMA 1 plastic box as well - I had thought it was only with Nema 4x, so it's less if you don't care about the metal box. I believe the shrink wrap is really intended for the probe and the connection with the wire but doesn't hurt to do more. I have a heat gun so may just do that. But for $5 bucks mind as well have them lol.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Do you have to heatshrink just the actual probe or all the wire that will be submersed? Thanks.
i have heatshrink on the probe, plus about an inch of wire above the probe and crimped "empty" heatshrink about a half inch below the probe, just to be safe...

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
i have heatshrink on the probe, plus about an inch of wire above the probe and crimped "empty" heatshrink about a half inch below the probe, just to be safe...
Good call. I have the heatshrink and a heat gun so may as well. Just ordered the Ranco off Amazon for less than $50 with free shipping and no tax. I also have a bunch of scrap 12-2 outdoor wire and outlets/boxes laying around. I'll let you know how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store