zebra mussels

fat bass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2006
new york
does anyone know if it is illegal to posess zebra mussels in ny? I know they are messing up lake ontereos eco system, but I think they might make a good addition to an aquarium?? any input?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
You don't want zebra mussel trust me...they will just end up clogging your filters over time..

They will never ever go away without breaking down your whole system and cleaning it completely

http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/kelch.htm

And I do believe they are illegal to purposely transport.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There's a federal ban on zebra mussels. You don't want them anyway. Mussels are not an invert of choice for other than a single-species tank. Mussels go through a parasitic stage of their life cycle by attaching themselves to the gills of fish and forcing the fish's systems to encyst the mussel larvae while thet grow.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
i asked this before no they are illegal

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Oddball;483766; said:
There's a federal ban on zebra mussels. You don't want them anyway. Mussels are not an invert of choice for other than a single-species tank. Mussels go through a parasitic stage of their life cycle by attaching themselves to the gills of fish and forcing the fish's systems to encyst the mussel larvae while thet grow.
Not all mussels have a stage like this, zebra mussels are not parasitic.

I would not keep them in a tank though. I actaully had some once, not with fish but with newts. They came in on some wild plants I collected and quickly took over the entire tank, worse than snails. If you want something similer try freshwater clams, I collect these quite often and also live in NY, they are about the size of a thumbnail.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
sandtiger;484086; said:
Not all mussels have a stage like this, zebra mussels are not parasitic.

I would not keep them in a tank though. I actaully had some once, not with fish but with newts. They came in on some wild plants I collected and quickly took over the entire tank, worse than snails. If you want something similer try freshwater clams, I collect these quite often and also live in NY, they are about the size of a thumbnail.
Yep, you got me there. Their life cycle is:

* Preshell Larva - the shell has not formed yet.
* Veliger Stage - the velum develops. Velum is the organelle used for feeding and swimming.
* Straight-hinged Larva - the first time the shell is all around the internal organs.
* Ilmbonal Larva - the shell is not transparent anymore. (The umbo is opaque.)
* Post-Veliaer Stage - time after the velum has finished developing.
* Pediveliger - has foot to help it move. The shell is thicker and whiter.
* Planti grade - the last stage as a larva. The shell is not round; it has elongated. The siphons form. Siphons are holes for excretion and respiration.
* Settling Stage - the zebra mussel has finished making organs, gills, and siphons. It is now a juvenile and will be an adult when it can reproduce. It has also made byssal threads to attach itself to things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store