Zebrina pike and bichir compatibility

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
Is this something that could work? I have about 6 bichir from 7-9 inches in a 135. Would a pike work or go after them? And would they require too low ph

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think it could work. Just make sure the pike is large enough to not be eaten by the bichirs and small enough that it doesn't cause trouble.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
Pike Cichlids are very different both within their groups aswell as individually. Wether it works or not depends on the animal you get. An aggressive one will easily tear your bichir apart, even if it is half their size. Bichirs having a similiar bodyshape increases the risk by a lot. I once had a harmonating zebrina pair that lived peacefully with everyting that wasnt their shape, one day the female suddenly tore the much bigger male apart. She now lives with alligator gars that dont dare to touch her.

Acutirostris usually works well and is affordable, but I personally would look for sth. else since they do have rather different habitats.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
The pike that my guy had was about 9 inches, same size as all my others, my ph sits around 7-7.5 is that too high for the pike
I know some people will disagree with this, but if the pike was born and/or raised in that ph, then keep it there. Changing the PH in most cases doesn't do anything good for the fish. Here is an example of a dramatic change water parameter-wise: here in Houston, Texas, we have very hard water (8.2-8.4), and I have discus which are considered to be soft water fish. They are doing great (they were born and raised in this water), and I have had no problems with most of them. So my answer is, no, that is not too high for the pike. Heck, we have pike here in LFS, and they are in the water hardness mentioned above, so I think it will be perfectly fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store