Paretroplus Nourissati

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I was hoping to get some advice from some of the Madagascan Cichlid experts. I have, I believe, a pair of Paretroplus Nourissati in my 75 gallon grow out tank. They are happy as can be, swimming up and down over and over, but as soon as I approach the tank to drop the food in they go and hide. They're around 4 inches and some of the bigger fish in the tank, I don't believe aggression to be an issue here. Tank mates include four Ptychochromis Oligacanthus ~1inch, two Paretroplus Kieneri 2.5", and three Polleni ~1.5 - 4". I know the Paretroplines eat snails in their natural environment, maybe I should incorporate them into their diet? Any help diet wise would be appreciated.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mine could clear a 6 ft tank overly infested with Malay live bearing snails in about 24 hours.
That said, my nourisatti killed each other in a 150 tank once they hit just over 4 inches.
Feeding was never a problem, mine was aggression. I believe one of the causes of my problems was not enough current, but that's just a theory. These fish come from rapids type areas, and I believe without that type distraction, energy is focused on aggression. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I believe I have enough current, I have a HOB, a bubbler, and a spong filter rated for 125 gallons. Perhaps I should add a power head for more current? I've had 0 aggression issues with them so far and they're each about 4 inches, on the contrary they're two of the more mild fish in the tank. I've also only had them for a couple of weeks so maybe they'll just come around. Thanks for the response!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a 1200gph pump at the time, which produces about 800 gallons per hour turnover on my 150 gal tank thru a 50 gal planted sump, I was thinking I should have had doubled that pump age to mirrior a more rapids environment, like the photos of their natural ares in the book "The Endemic Cichlid of Madagascar".
Mine did spawn, but the male took out the female soon after, and ate the eggs
You may have a more compatible pair than I did, and more conducive conditions for the individuals you have.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Got them to eat some brine shrimp with spirulina :) Quite happy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store