Netting out monster sized fish ?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
How do you move your monster sized fishes? I honestly hate doing it
because theres the possibility of the fish thrashing around and doing damage to itself.

I use the largest net i could find for arowanas , stingrays and bigger catfish , i herd them in a large trash bag and lift the bag out slowly ( after removing excess water ) from the tank.

Any special, unusual technique that people out there use or want to share? Post them here !

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
Nah im just like u but i need a bigger net. My oscars is bending the one i got. But when i catch them i take EVREYTHING out of the tank so they can't hide or hurt them selves by running into a rock

Reactions: Rob909

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
depending on the fish first drain half the tank and get a peice of pvc with a cap on each side let the fish swim in it and close the cap move it and dump it out the pvc will not tear up the fish and if it is only a litle bigger will not allow the fish to thrash this works great for longer fish for roundr fish use a bag and skoop them up with water

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
When we moved our Aro...rallysb1tch came up with the idea to use a Tshirt....it workd very well. It took 2 people, but the fish was unharmed

Reactions: Hari Haran

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DeLgAdO said:
I catch me aro by hand and net, because shes easy to maniluate, i just coax her with my hand and she goe the way i want her to go, then KER-SLASH!!. and i just move her very quickly

Cool! You remind me of Ming, and Weber.. the fish "handlers"
I cant/wont do it.. too slippery for me... LOL ! But cool technique.. im jealous.

When we moved our Aro...rallysb1tch came up with the idea to use a Tshirt....it workd very well. It took 2 people, but the fish was unharmed
Thats cool.. i use that for fish that jumped out or on the floor. I dont do it because i will hate the shirt afterwards.. the smell!

Reactions: FishOrnamentKing

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
yourmylunch said:
depending on the fish first drain half the tank and get a peice of pvc with a cap on each side let the fish swim in it and close the cap move it and dump it out the pvc will not tear up the fish and if it is only a litle bigger will not allow the fish to thrash this works great for longer fish for roundr fish use a bag and skoop them up with water

this is for mid sized fish i assume. This would be a great ideas for loaches and knives i think.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Catching bichirs

Netting and moving
Think they are slow?Try catching one that doesn't want to be caught!
RULE#1 do not use your bare hands the finlets on the back of a bichir are
extremely sharp and the bichir knows ho to use them (you have been warned)
There are four basic ways to net a fish
1) Using two nets one large and one small.Direct the fish into the large net using the smaller net
2)Use a large clean white pillow case or sutrdy plastic bag and with a small net direct the fish into the pillow case or bag
3) use a piece of PVC pipe over one end with a net direct the fish with a smaller net into the tube then cover the open
end with the second net lift out the pvc with the nets.
4)My personal favorite drain the tank for a big waterchange makes them so much easier to handle if they can't move in three
dimensions (less stress for all involved also)-Anne

Reactions: Matteus

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
lowering the water level is definitely a good idea. it really immobilizes them.
But i find herding fish into a net or plastic without making them stress a challenge.
And i do it well :naughty:

I get impatient at my local lfs when they try to catch fish. Most kids try to do a racing contest with the fish and they almost will never win. I try to anticipate where they go and slowly "blanket" the net over them. Its fun...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store