Swamp eels are beasts

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I got a little synbranchus marmoratus recently, around 8 inches and skinny as an earthworm.

In just a few weeks it's 9.5 inches and twice as fat as it was.

It eats a lot, bloodworms, mealworms, chopped mussels etc.

It doesn't seem nocturnal either, it eats whenever I put food in and sometimes comes to the glass to look at me.

Anyway these fish are very hardy, it escaped the other night, I found it all dried up in the morning on this VERY cold tiled flooring. These tiles are super cold, your feet get cold just walking on them.

And it was stuck to the tile, I tried to prise it off, but I had to splash water on it to pick it up.

I put it in a bucket of tank water to wash and it started furiously swimming, I put it back and it's eyes were cloudy. A day later the eyes are perfectly clear and it's eating already.

Tough fish, I recommend them. They look cool, they eat a lot, they are hardy, and mine is certainly not as inactive as a lungfish.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Woah, super strong, wish i could get them here, but i suppose i haven't really searched...

reddragon343

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
singapore
i got an asian swamp eel........cool fish....i keep it in a lotus pot.....only see it at feeding time....eats pellets and the feeders that live in the pot......it spends most of its time under the mud....also quite dependant on freash air.......the other day wen there was a storm....the pot filled up......few hours later....still raining.......i find the guy slithering around the driveway.....could see him eatin a snail.......damn....4got to take pics

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
where to get them?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Very cool, post a pic if you can. I was looking for one of those a while back, but couldn't find one.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i got an asian swamp eel........cool fish....i keep it in a lotus pot.....only see it at feeding time....eats pellets and the feeders that live in the pot......it spends most of its time under the mud....also quite dependant on freash air.......the other day wen there was a storm....the pot filled up......few hours later....still raining.......i find the guy slithering around the driveway.....could see him eatin a snail.......damn....4got to take pics
i like the look of the asians, you got a pic of yours?

reddragon343

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
singapore
erm....sorry.....the dude is hard to catch...escpecially since he has about .......100 kg worth of mud to hide in.....only see him late at night comin to the surface to eat the pellets

MrRngr94

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Central FL
I just found out that there are some around some drains and ditches here in Tampa. I'm going to look for some when I get another tank.

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
Ahh Tampa. What a place to live? Right on the water. When you find the eel, take alot of pictures!!:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store