Tesselata Moray Eel compatibility

Hi8iS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Detroit
I have just purchased a Tesselata Eel about 2' long. He is going to go in a 55 gallon for now & will be moved into a 150 soon. I have a couple questions about compatibility. I don't plan on keeping any fish with him(her) but I know these guys are kinda messy eaters & was wonderring if a cleaning crew of larger hermit crabs would be ok with him? What about other Eels? Would they be compatible with him? Also I have never tried coral & want to do so in this tank. Will the Coral be ok with the Eel & the crabs? I have read that the Eels are reef safe. Also what would be some recommendations of some easy coral to keep? My light fixture is a HO t5 with 2 actinic bulbs & 2 6700k with moonlights. Thanks in advance for all of your help. Here is a pic of him taken in side the LFS i purchased him from.

Picture 528.jpg

metalyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2007
Colorado
B-e-a-utiful! Congrats bud. That eel looks like mine did.

All I can comment on is the prospect of another eel. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. You need enough space to house to like sized eels, and be prepared to remove one quickly if they don't get along. We all know tessies can get up in the 6-8 foot range, and that may prove a challenge for two. Good luck and shoot us pics!

Swim on!

Hi8iS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Detroit
metalyx;3511306; said:
B-e-a-utiful! Congrats bud. That eel looks like mine did.

All I can comment on is the prospect of another eel. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. You need enough space to house to like sized eels, and be prepared to remove one quickly if they don't get along. We all know tessies can get up in the 6-8 foot range, and that may prove a challenge for two. Good luck and shoot us pics!

Swim on!
Yeah that is kinda what I figures. I really want a Dragon Moray but I know they don't get as big & that may be an expensive risk! Although a LFS has a good deal on one right now $500! I paid $125 for the Tessie! Anyone have any input on the Crabs/Coral?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
The eel has about another 3 feet to grow yet....even moving to a 150 is not big enough in my opinion....more like 300 gal....

Not as voracious as most eels and will stand having another eel with it of the same size / temperment....again though, tank size dependant..

Corals are usually fine, as long as they are attached properly...inverts would be quite dodgy....these will also prey on any week / ill fish in the tank...

Good luck with it, its a beautyfull eel.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Reefscape;3511858; said:
The eel has about another 3 feet to grow yet....even moving to a 150 is not big enough in my opinion....more like 300 gal....

Not as voracious as most eels and will stand having another eel with it of the same size / temperment....again though, tank size dependant..

Corals are usually fine, as long as they are attached properly...inverts would be quite dodgy....these will also prey on any week / ill fish in the tank...

Good luck with it, its a beautyfull eel.
well said reefscape totally agree with you.

mr.reef24

Hi8iS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Detroit
Thanks for all the advice. Got a few Corals, they are in the tank now. Tried like hell but couldn't get the damsel out. Wasn't going to take all the aquascaping apart. I'm now officially hooked on SW!! If the 150 won't be big enough then bigger it will be. Always love having excuses to go bigger!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store