Male or Female Gold Saum?

JCA

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2006
Washington, US
I really want a male, so if this is a female then off it goes to the lfs. but i need some help lol

oh yeah and i couldnt pass it up when my gold severum posed :headbang2

CIMG0884.JPG

CIMG0890.JPG

CIMG0892.JPG

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
I also say female. The rounded dorsal and anal fins are one of the tells, but sometimes its not the case.

JCA

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2006
Washington, US
then in to the pet store he goes! now i guess the question is...where to get a male? lol or should i just get a royal from shark aquarium?

JCA

Candiru
MFK Member
May 12, 2006
Washington, US
thats what i hoped for a while, but i saw some in pet stores much smaller and had way more gold on their fins so everything together helped me come to the conclusion! well hes at the pet store along with a bunch of other fish lol

SouthCentral

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Canada
I've had numerous gt's and have bread them and I find that it is actually fairly easy to sex a good specimen when it is young. Males will often have better colour in the dorsal fin...not the red area, but the area below. They'll have more of the blue green spangles there whereas females have relatively little colour there, just pale green. Your fish doesn't show much colour there, so I think it's female. Also, females tend to get those little black spots on the operculum when in a mood, and they're pretty prominent on your fish. Males don't often exhibit those spots.

Diamondhitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
Alberta
Well, I guess I was wrong. Theres a first time for everything I guess. There was one other time when I thought that I was wrong but as it turned out I was mistaken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store