Mono Sebae in a freshwater tank?

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
I heard that you could turn adult mono sebaes into a full freshwater fish. Another guy on here says he's had them in freshwater for over 5 years, and someone else mentioned that there was an article about them being successfully kept and bred in freshwater.

Anyone have any more information on this? I have a 7" mono sebae in extreme low end brackish, and I would love to have him in freshwater with my other fish.

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
Carfree_Dude;4880239;4880239 said:
I heard that you could turn adult mono sebaes into a full freshwater fish. Another guy on here says he's had them in freshwater for over 5 years, and someone else mentioned that there was an article about them being successfully kept and bred in freshwater.

Anyone have any more information on this? I have a 7" mono sebae in extreme low end brackish, and I would love to have him in freshwater with my other fish.
Wishfull thinking/////it just does not work they will start having all types of detoriations when they reach about 4 inches in fresh water ///however they do can live well in all salt /////////

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Considering most fish will live into their teens, 5 years isn't saying much. They spawn in SW, so I'm not too sure where the author of that article got that. These are BW fish that live their adult lives in SW. They also grow to about 14" tall & are schooling fish, so a 300g tank would be the minimum for a school of them.

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
quovadis;4880318; said:
Wishfull thinking/////it just does not work they will start having all types of detoriations when they reach about 4 inches in fresh water ///however they do well i:nilly:n all salt
huuuuuuuu

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Carfree_Dude;4880239; said:

Who knows the kind of damage keeping a brackish/marine fish like the two Monodactylus species in freshwater would cause. I think I know who you're talking about, but I think his tank is so big that water quality is always near perfect, meaning, even if their immune systems or other physiological functions are impaired, the water is good enough that they don't show it. It's almost like a fish kept in high nitrates... it won't show any signs of poor health until it gets a disease, which will be 10 times worse due to its diminished immune system.

Reactions: Fish rescue

Nabigh

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
Oman
I have monos too... whats the conclusion. when and how much salt can we add. what kind of salt. i dont have the courage to add salt. Im actually thinking of trading them in for other fish.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Nabigh;4884176; said:
I have monos too... whats the conclusion. when and how much salt can we add. what kind of salt. i dont have the courage to add salt. Im actually thinking of trading them in for other fish.
It's not that hard, but saltwater tanks are a bit pricier to maintain, once you factor in all the salt you have to use.

If you do decide to give it a shot, use sea salt. Not aquarium salt, that's different. Read the label specifically, it has to say sea salt. You'd have to get a hydrometer, which measures specific gravity. Freshwater is 1.000. You'd increase the specific gravity by 0.002 per month by adding salt, until you've reached 1.023. This should take about a year.

However, if you're not ready for saltwater yet, you should probably just return them.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Actually, sea salt that you might buy at the grocery store, is not the same as marine salt you get at an aquarium store. Use the marine salt, used for SW tanks. You'll need a hydrometer, too. Aim for an specific gravity of 1.020 for a fish only (FO) tank. Eventually, you'll want to add a protein skimmer & live rock, so you won't have to do so many large water changes, as $alt is $$$, when you're doing 50%/week, on a large tank.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pufferpunk;4884295; said:
Actually, sea salt that you might buy at the grocery store, is not the same as marine salt you get at an aquarium store. Use the marine salt, used for SW tanks. You'll need a hydrometer, too. Aim for an specific gravity of 1.020 for a fish only (FO) tank. Eventually, you'll want to add a protein skimmer & live rock, so you won't have to do so many large water changes, as $alt is $$$, when you're doing 50%/week, on a large tank.
I didn't even know they sold sea salt at grocery stores. Yes, I meant marine salt, from a pet store. Something like Instant Ocean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store