OUTDOOR POND, ALL PIC'S

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
That's a great idea Mike. Make sure your cam has fresh batteries.....

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Here is my DYI project from 6 years ago just after completion. The pond is a 9'x8' oval 5' deep. The project was completed by myself with only handtools. VERY challenging build. My house and yard are surrounded by stone walls and is built into a rocky clay hill typical of CT. no materials could be delivered on site. I wheel barrelled 50 bags of top soil, 500 lbs of peet, 3 tons of stone and all the landscaping materiels up hill and around my house to the build. Stones over 150 lbs were moved by flipping them onto my sons plastic sleigh and dragging inch by inch up the hill and over 400 feet to the site. The largest stones weighed aprox 300lbs.

Digging the hole took 18 months and broke two pick axes. i was working 70 hours per week six days as a Country Club chef at the time and only could work a few hours each morning. My wife thought I would never finish. This is my second pond. My house came with a 700 gallon concrete pond/watefall which i restored and stocked with koi and some natives. The new pond was concieved as a place to winter the fish as the old pond was only 20" deep and freezes solid. i will post some pics this spring to show how the landscaping came in. It looks really good but my liner needs to replaced and I am not sure I am up to tearing down all the stonework! EnjoY!

my new gorge 002.jpg

my new gorge 001.jpg

ratrodmike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Maynard, Ma
Looks great! I can't believe you dug that with hand tools! I'm going to make it a little easier on myself and use my toro dingo with a backhoe attachment. And don't worry muske, I'll take lots of pics.:D

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
ratrodmike;4912914;4912914 said:
Looks great! I can't believe you dug that with hand tools! I'm going to make it a little easier on myself and use my toro dingo with a backhoe attachment. And don't worry muske, I'll take lots of pics.:D
Thanks! It was a labor of love....Still recovering and dreading having to replace the liner. All the stone work must come down....gonna be really tough to do!

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
What happened to the liner?

Mike, let me know how the Backhoe works for the Dingo. I have one myself (320D) and they are the best tool/laborer on the jobsite, next to the radio of course.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Muske;4915116;4915116 said:
What happened to the liner?

Mike, let me know how the Backhoe works for the Dingo. I have one myself (320D) and they are the best tool/laborer on the jobsite, next to the radio of course.
The floating ice cap tore it up. I patched it two years ago but now its shot. i also had some shiftiing of the the rock face and will need to re-do it. My biggest mistake was not buying the best and thickest rubber liner on the market. The new liner is gonna be pricey!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store