Lateral Line Scale Count.

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Very interesting. I know snakes can be identified with scale counts, never thought about it on a fish. I wonder if cichlids and other species can be identified in a similar way

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Hi, yup snakes and fish!
The thing here though is that most Bichirs when described in research have a bracket (for example 55 to 60 etc) often with Bichirs they can overlap so one species could have 55 to 60, another 58 to 65, so using this as an ID, is not really suitable.
But the point here is Ansorgii and PBB don't overlap according to Dr. Igarashi. I counted the LLS of more than one of both my Ansorgii and PBB, and he is correct when it comes to my fish.
Would be interesting to see other members post their counts!

Nice little serpent in yr Avatar BTW!
Have a rather large collection of Herps myself!

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Awesome. Thanks for clearing this up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
i remember doing lateral scale count on Pbb pics way back when Japan got a hold of the fish, and i remember they all fall within the cited number bracket in the literature.

as for this whole 'ansorgii is a regional variant of Pbb' nonsense, I couldn't be bothered to finish reading the post whenever the claim comes up in his response lol Anyway, the head structure of the two is very different, Pbb has the P bichir complex look, while ansorgii is more akin to the P endli complex. Calling them regional variants of the same species would be like saying all lower jaw bichirs are regional variants of the same species. Not to mention Pbb is found largely in East Africa, and ansorgii in West Africa.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
congrats on the sticky icky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store