Glowing Mouse

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
It's not often I can say I have a genetically altered pet, and not mean Glofish. But at this moment, I can... I have a genetically altered mouse that glows bright green under UV and Blacklights. I just got her today, she used to belong to a friend I had in high school who had to rehome her (and one regular albino mouse) because he's about to get a flying squirrel. And she is so friggin' cool! I'm trying to get some nice photos of her (the one below is a stock image of an another mouse with the same genetic modifications), but the mini blacklight I have isn't strong enough to produce as bright a glow on her and the light purple ambient color in the surroundings, so my camera phone isn't registering anything but a black screen. -_- Going to try with a full blacklight bar and my Canon tomorrow evening, I do club photography with that so I'm hoping that will work out much better.

vcvvv.jpg

So, she glows just like this one but she's a dark brown/black fur instead of that brown mix there.

vcvvv.jpg

AConrad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Florida
Wow, thats so cool. I want a glomonkey! Freakin' glo animals. Not to hate, that thing really is awesome!

NyJets

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
ny
What a sad world we live in. That could of been catfish or snake food.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Thats cool but at the same time freaky. Where did your friend get it? Nuclear waste dump? :p

Sent from my LT15a using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Thats cool but at the same time freaky. Where did your friend get it? Nuclear waste dump? :p
His sister's university was doing genome experiments, this was one of the animals they worked on. She brought it home and gave it to him. Interesting side note, if you google "neon mice" there's apparently a company that's trying to get a pet line started for these altered mice. Their's are hairless and come in a variety of colors, like Glofish, but it's being delayed by some new legislature or something. But anyway, they look pretty damn neat.

A glowing mouse is up there on my list of crazy critters to own. I think it would be sick if they could make an octopus or beardie glow:)
I wonder if they have, I've seen cats, pigs, rats, mice, rabbits and similar. Haven't seen reptiles, though... hrm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store