Glass/Acrylic Thickness Calculations

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm looking to build a 200 gallon acrylic tank that would be 48'' x 36 x 27. Would there be too much bowing with 1/2 inch thick acrylic?
There's no doubt it will bow, but probably not too much. My 96x24x30 bowd about 1/2" or so. It was pretty bad when you looked at it from the side.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Hi Bobby.... i am looking at building a glass tank of 10'X3'X2'... you think 18mm should suffice? with only top bracings as i would prefer not to have the bottom support... just incase i wanna go bare bottom... any advice and help very much appreciated...

Thanks,

N

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Hi Bobby.... i am looking at building a glass tank of 10'X3'X2'... you think 18mm should suffice? with only top bracings as i would prefer not to have the bottom support... just incase i wanna go bare bottom... any advice and help very much appreciated...

Thanks,

N
3/4" or more would work. If you want extra security on the bottom, go a bit thicker and that would give you more seam strength.

Hi!
How big can I go with acrylic in 25mm?

I'm not a clever man, and I can't figure out the calculators...
Depends on the length of the tank.

Roughly....

36 x 24
48 x 24 (pushing it, but OK)
72 x 20

Fmb72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2013
Dubai
How would you go about using the calculator for acrylic tanks that are not your standard straight rectangular boxes ie an aquarium that is an L shape?

Thanks for the help in advance.

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
i am looking forward to build a glass tank which is 6 ft high, but would only contain 3 ft water.
Most of the calculators are based on the assumption of all 4 sides being simply supported.
However in my case 32-36" of water column can be made using 15mm glass.
I am using a metal frame here.
What would change if we move the top support by another few feet ?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
i am looking forward to build a glass tank which is 6 ft high, but would only contain 3 ft water.
Most of the calculators are based on the assumption of all 4 sides being simply supported.
However in my case 32-36" of water column can be made using 15mm glass.
I am using a metal frame here.
What would change if we move the top support by another few feet ?

I'm going to need a picture or a design of what you are trying to accomplish here. It is unclear to me how you intend to support the tank. That being said, I would never use 15mm on a 36" depth. That is just asking to have water on your floor.

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
Its basically a paludorium with half water. I am currently designing a metal frame for it and going through fea for the same , 15mm is not really the important thing here , the question is should we design a tank for just the water column height or for the glass panel hieght.
Eventually i might even go for acrylic of a suitable thickness.
Hope this helps. Will post a pic when the 3d model takes shape.

Oh btw this is a one side view frp tank 20 x5 x6 ft with only the front being glass .it might have either 4 windows if its glass or 2 if its acrylic.

xmortred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2013
Philippines
Hello guys, I am planning to build a new tempo tank until my main project is finished. I am wondering on which thickness of glass I should use to save some cash:). The dimension/s that I was planning on is a small one, a 4'x30"x18" glass tank.

I found this calculator, http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp , I don't know if I should trust this 100%. I'm looking to save a few bucks, here and there until budget permits, so I am planning on using 1/4" thick glass(same with the braces inside the tank and the top part).

Question now is that, will it break? Will this be too much of a risk? Should I opt for 3/8" or better yet, 1/2"?

Leftturn31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2012
Central MN
HI i've found a sheet of tempered glass 72"x36"-3/8" Thick. Would this be strong enough for a 75"x34"x37" high plywood tank viewing window? The glass would be framed in by 1 1/2" and the viewable glass would be 4" of bottom of tank and the waterline on top would be even with the top of viewable glass so 33" of glass exposed. What do you all think? Is it safe? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store