Lyretail Hawkfish

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Picked this guy up a few weeks ago - great coloring, lucky buy too! Mislabeled as a Spotted Hawkfish at Petco, which they figured out on their own when they realized I was interested in it. :D Good price, great fish, happy customer.
Post some pics of your own Hawkfish if you have any!

DSCF1661.JPG

DSCF1663.JPG

DSCF1664.JPG

DSCF1665.JPG

DSCF1661.JPG

DSCF1663.JPG

DSCF1664.JPG

DSCF1665.JPG

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Figured I'd post this here, as starting a new thread with one untouched right here wouldn't make much sense, lol.
Added led's to the Venomous fish tank - now I can finally start working with coral, and hopefully with better results than my first attempt. (Granted they were all mushroom corals and eaten by a Butterfly fish...) Two Par 30 bulbs from BoostLed - terrible customer service, but after a longer period of waiting I finally was contacted about an issue with a bulb and had it resolved. So I guess it worked out in the end! The one patch of Zoanthids will have to be glued down onto a rock, just haven't got to it yet - Scorpionfish keeps knocking them down which is why a few are still closed.

DSCF1777.JPG

DSCF1778.JPG

DSCF1779.JPG

DSCF1780.JPG

DSCF1781.JPG

DSCF1783.JPG

DSCF1777.JPG

DSCF1778.JPG

DSCF1779.JPG

DSCF1780.JPG

DSCF1781.JPG

DSCF1783.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
The Lyretail's really nice and a good find but that big Scorpian's absolutely awesome. Looks like he has a lot of character. :thumbsup:
Thank you, and plenty of character, lol. He'll come right up front and swim all over the front of the tank until I feed him, and he doesn't take lightly to others in the tank eating his food. Very aggressive eater.

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
those tanks are amazing, would love to try saltwater some day
Thank you, and I always push people to at least give it a try. It isn't all too bad, but with this current setup for the Venomous tank, I've definitely been doing a good amount of water changes! But that's what you get when you overcrowd a tank. The plan is to get the 150-Gallon going for these guys within the next week or two.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
yeah but college definately is not a good time for experimenting with new fish tank setup. Really would love to try a tank for mandarin dragonets someday, it's a miracle my african cichlid tank is in good hands... maybe later, have to admit those scorpions are real neat, especially the one with yellow fins. The volitan lion look absolutely delicious

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
yeah but college definately is not a good time for experimenting with new fish tank setup. Really would love to try a tank for mandarin dragonets someday, it's a miracle my african cichlid tank is in good hands... maybe later, have to admit those scorpions are real neat, especially the one with yellow fins. The volitan lion look absolutely delicious
Oh come on now, I'm a full time college student, and then right after college (everyday if I choose) I can head to work till 10pm. Granted I still live at home, and will be cutting back on the collection by a few setups, but still! Had a fair paying summer job, and will be rehired next summer to help with tuition and animal expenses.
I have yet to keep a Mandarin, just because of the difficulty of feeding over an extended period of time. I've tried to keep just about everything else though!
And that Volitan will need a very big upgrade at some point, which is why I'm switching over to the 150-Gallon for a venomous tank.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
Oh come on now, I'm a full time college student, and then right after college (everyday if I choose) I can head to work till 10pm. Granted I still live at home, and will be cutting back on the collection by a few setups, but still! Had a fair paying summer job, and will be rehired next summer to help with tuition and animal expenses.
I have yet to keep a Mandarin, just because of the difficulty of feeding over an extended period of time. I've tried to keep just about everything else though!
And that Volitan will need a very big upgrade at some point, which is why I'm switching over to the 150-Gallon for a venomous tank.
my house is in Ontario and I'm at college in British Colombia, its almost 4500km (over 1000 miles) distance with a time zone difference of 3 hours between the 2 points so i can't just pop in and check on something as sensitive as a SW setup whenever i wish, freshwater is easier to manage so my old tank is being looked after and it's got hardy fish that are forgiving of any family mistakes. I have the same good summer job etc but living on residence does limit any near future options.

Agree with the volitan, seen 20 inchers in the caribbean, i started calling them mines they're so big and common

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store