First Native tank

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Ok thanks. And also would a crayfish be ok with them? ( always wanted to keep one)
Depends on what species of crayfish. Large crayfish species may will eat your fishes while dwarf crayfish will leave most fishes alone.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I maintain a aquarium for a small museum with muskie. TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) would not permit it unless we agreed to get a chiller, so that is not necessarily true. You are closer to him than I and probably more knowledgeable, so I'll go with your wisdom. Sorry to get off topic and best of luck to you both.
Yes a chiller for a northern pike and few coldwater species such as trout and eelpout but not a muskellunge.

Dako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
Toronto
Ok well I guess no crayfish for me :(. Also where would be a good place to start collecting? (Plan on going before it gets colder) I live near a river but I haven't found much there asides from blacknoes dace and brook stickleback.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would just wait it out till next year when its warm out. But since you don't have any problems to collecting the blacknose daces and the stickleback (the sticklebacks can accepted the frozen bloodworms)

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
Hey I'd like to throw in a couple of suggestions. The species you are looking at getting are great choices. I'd suggest maybe not going the brook stickleback route, I've noticed they can get very aggressive and a bit nippy if you are keeping other daces and shiners. May I suggest you looking into some Darters. I know in and around Toronto there is some very beautiful species such as Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum). Here is a list of a few species that can be found in Bronte creek. (it is a provincial park but there are many creeks like it around the area) Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Northern Hogsucker
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass
Green Sunfish
Pumpkinseed
Creek Chub
River Chub
Hornyhead Chub
Common Shiner
Rainbow Darter <<<<<------ good option
Fantail Darter <<<<<----- good option
Northern Pike
Bluegill
Yellow Perch
Rock Bass
Blacknose Dace<<<<---- good option (very nice species of dace, very nice colouring and from what I've seen a very top water/ mid water species)
Stonecat <<<--- (could be a nice option but get a bit bigger then some darters and minnows)
Johnny Darter<<<<---- good option
Bluntnose Minnow<<<<---

Here are some that are also confirmed to be in the watershed but from my source he hasn't seen any.
Blacknose Shiner
Blackside Darter<<<----
Golden Shiner
Northern Redbelly Dace<<<<----
Central Mudminnow
Common Carp
Longnose Dace<<<<---
Brown Bullhead
Brassy Minnow
Gizzard Shad
Pearl Dace<<<---
Spottail Shiner<<<---
Emerald Shiner<<<<--

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Hey I'd like to throw in a couple of suggestions. The species you are looking at getting are great choices. I'd suggest maybe not going the brook stickleback route, I've noticed they can get very aggressive and a bit nippy if you are keeping other daces and shiners. May I suggest you looking into some Darters. I know in and around Toronto there is some very beautiful species such as Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum). Here is a list of a few species that can be found in Bronte creek. (it is a provincial park but there are many creeks like it around the area) Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Northern Hogsucker
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass
Green Sunfish
Pumpkinseed
Creek Chub
River Chub
Hornyhead Chub
Common Shiner
Northern Pike
Bluegill
Yellow Perch
Rock Bass
Blacknose Dace<<<<---- good option (very nice species of dace, very nice colouring and from what I've seen a very top water/ mid water species)
Stonecat <<<--- (could be a nice option but get a bit bigger then some darters and minnows)
Bluntnose Minnow<<<<---

Here are some that are also confirmed to be in the watershed but from my source he hasn't seen any.
Blacknose Shiner
Blackside Darter<<<----
Golden Shiner
Central Mudminnow
Common Carp
Longnose Dace<<<<---
Brown Bullhead
Brassy Minnow
Gizzard Shad
Pearl Dace<<<---
Spottail Shiner<<<---
Emerald Shiner<<<<--
Actually brook stickleback can be kept in a 30gal with few tankmates. I've kept them with orangespotted sunfish and madtoms with no problems. Also.....blacknose dace would be a bentic dwelling minnow, not top/mid swimmers.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
I think Darters and Dace would be great for a 30g, Im not sure about the laws in Canada for keeping smaller Centrarchids but if you can and want to you can purchase those online (Bantam and Orangespotted) usually from Zimmermans fish, Sachs aquaculture, Btdarters, or Jonahs aquarium.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
I maintain a aquarium for a small museum with muskie. TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) would not permit it unless we agreed to get a chiller, so that is not necessarily true. You are closer to him than I and probably more knowledgeable, so I'll go with your wisdom. Sorry to get off topic and best of luck to you both.
Cool. what museum is that?

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Northern Hogsucker
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass
Green Sunfish
Pumpkinseed
Creek Chub
River Chub
Hornyhead Chub
Common Shiner
Northern Pike
Bluegill
Yellow Perch
Rock Bass
Bluntnose Minnow<<<<---

Blacknose Shiner
Blackside Darter<<<----
Golden Shiner
Central Mudminnow
Common Carp
Longnose Dace<<<<---
Brown Bullhead
Brassy Minnow
Gizzard Shad
Pearl Dace<<<---
Spottail Shiner<<<---
Emerald Shiner<<<<--
If I'm the source from NANFA that you're talking about then I'm on this forum as well ;). OP, I'm from Markham and if you want I could show you some good spots to collect some natives, PM me if you'd like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store