Good quality bp vs bad quality bp...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
What is the difference other than one having a more richer color? If "quality" is also chose by shape, please show the differences.

Some like the notch and some don't... So is quality really just a personal preference?

www.youtube.com/crushalot329
By "notch" do you mean the general mouth shape?

I prefer parrots that have a more normal shaped mouth in regards to the head slope and ability to close their mouths to a greater degree personally

sharizan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
Malaysia, sarawak
This should be interesting, i also curious about this issue..but the fish named cos of it mouth resembled parrot bird, if normal mouth then, imo it wont be called parrot fish..:)

mahsfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
By notch I think the op mean the notch above the head. Or the hump and how exaggerated it is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Butthorn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2012
Philly
What is the difference other than one having a more richer color? If "quality" is also chose by shape, please show the differences.

Some like the notch and some don't... So is quality really just a personal preference?

Chrisplosion did a " parrot Cichlid info sheet " thread. That broke down the types & differences pretty damn good.

I find whenever I asked seller why mammon/KKP is so much more $ then blood parrot, they always say perfect mouth & deep red color. They grade mammons/KKP based on color. Yellow being low, and red obviously highest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Butthorn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2012
Philly
Personally I only use parrots for breeding hybrids. I'm starting to think the only quality that matters to me is color. I've used busted looking blood parrots that had a crooked mouth and notch- all fry had normal mouth & shape. Some got the color, nothing else.

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
By notch I think the op mean the notch above the head. Or the hump and how exaggerated it is.

Precisely and I couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This should be interesting, i also curious about this issue..but the fish named cos of it mouth resembled parrot bird, if normal mouth then, imo it wont be called parrot fish..:)
I guess them sharing the same name has to do with their origin... If they all come from the same batch(just referring to bp's not kkp or skkp), then they should all get the same name right? But yeah I wonder if shape of mouth, intensity of the notch, and richness of color determine "quality" or is it just personal preferences?

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
Chrisplosion did a " parrot Cichlid info sheet " thread. That broke down the types & differences pretty damn good.

I find whenever I asked seller why mammon/KKP is so much more $ then blood parrot, they always say perfect mouth & deep red color. They grade mammons/KKP based on color. Yellow being low, and red obviously highest.

Yeah I have seen the sticky. It showed the different types but didn't really talk about quality. Members always use high quality this and low quality that, so that's why I asked. But thanks for informing us on how kkp and skkp are graded... Didn't know that. So I guess what I'm asking is... Is there a grading scale for bp's?

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
Personally I only use parrots for breeding hybrids. I'm starting to think the only quality that matters to me is color. I've used busted looking blood parrots that had a crooked mouth and notch- all fry had normal mouth & shape. Some got the color, nothing else.

I'm with you on color... The deeper the base color the better.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009

U want a richer red color?
But I dont want that. I want my Parrot to be white.
Body shape is the same thing. U want big head big fan tail.. right? Me too.

some dislike triangle mouths and look for normal mouths.
Some GET the Parrot because of their Perfect The Triangle Mouth, because that cute smile on the fish is what they look for first. Triangle mouth is a Parrot's signature.

Seems to me FH breeders/hobbyists like their parrots red like a parrot and body like a perfect kamfa. = Red Monkey

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store