maximum percent of water change?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have two 420 gallon tanks that I change 75% of water every week plus I have a drip system that changes 200 gallons every day and use pond prime every day to treat new water.I have a bead filter on each tank,plus vacuum tanks every two weeks. I think one its very important to get rid of the organic waste as well as the water changes,because the organic material is what really effects water quality.If your not using pond prime I suggest you look into it its more concentrated than regular prime and will save you money.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Thank you for all the response! So I think it all depends on your stocking level and the amount of your bio media?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
Thank you for all the response! So I think it all depends on your stocking level and the amount of your bio media?
yes. for example if you had a 120g aquarium with 10 feeder goldfish in it, you would not need to do a water change for probley a month even with the minimum reccomended filtration. but if you took that same tank, and had like three full grown oscars in it, you could be looking a t two water changes a week. but if you doubled your filtration, you could throttle back on the water changes a little. this may be a little controversial bbut the general rule of thumb for MOST tanks, not all, is 25% weekly with good filtration. i usually look at the filter box and what ever size tank it says it is good for, i cut that number in half. you can never have too much filtration. for example, i have a penn plax cascade 1500 on my 55 gallon african cichlid tank. that filter is rated at 200 gallon tank according to the box. that is a little more than cutting it in half but you get the idea lol.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I don't have a sump so is it safe for me to do massive water changes? but i do have lots of bio media (k1, ceramic, sponge)
you can just dont clean your filters out at the same time. also if you did like a 80% water change, add the water bake in like stages. mainly so you dont get too much chlorine in there all at once. add a little and add your water treatment, like prime. wait a little bit then add some more.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
yes. for example if you had a 120g aquarium with 10 feeder goldfish in it, you would not need to do a water change for probley a month even with the minimum reccomended filtration. but if you took that same tank, and had like three full grown oscars in it, you could be looking a t two water changes a week. but if you doubled your filtration, you could throttle back on the water changes a little. this may be a little controversial bbut the general rule of thumb for MOST tanks, not all, is 25% weekly with good filtration. i usually look at the filter box and what ever size tank it says it is good for, i cut that number in half. you can never have too much filtration. for example, i have a penn plax cascade 1500 on my 55 gallon african cichlid tank. that filter is rated at 200 gallon tank according to the box. that is a little more than cutting it in half but you get the idea lol.
haha yeah i get it. I'm just afraid to do a massive wc bcuz I fear I might recycle my whole tank lol it's reassuring for you the expert guys to respond to my thread :thumbsup:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If your not using pond prime I suggest you look into it its more concentrated than regular prime and will save you money.
That would be incorrect.

Both formulas are exactly the same thing. Pond Prime is designed for open water systems, such as ponds, which is why the dosage rate is different on the label. This is a common misconception by many hobbyists. If you want to use a more concentrated Seachem product, I suggest taking a close look at Seachem Safe.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Some of the Asian breeders don't filter tanks and do daily 100% water changes. If the ph is stable and tds is constant they can handle it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
Some of the Asian breeders don't filter tanks and do daily 100% water changes. If the ph is stable and tds is constant they can handle it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ohmy. i dont know about tds lol whats tds?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store