Petco to Buy Drs. Foster and Smith

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Many years ago I used to buy equipment from a place called Pet Warehouse (or something like that) and they were bought out by Dr Fosters and Smith:)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I bought a few things from them too and I might even have an old catalog of theirs in the basement.I'd just forgotten about them and wasn't aware that Drs. bought them out.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Support your LFS if you can or they to will close up and the only option will be online. Don't know about you guys but I miss blockbuster kicking myself now for supporting redbox.

My LFS is a little more expensive but when I heard them turn down a sale because a customers tank wasn't ready (not cycled) and the current stock wouldn't work it made me happy I shop there. They also went on to explain what a cycle was because petco sold this customer an oscar, angels and I think a black ghost knife (from customers description) to start her 55 gallon. They also offered to continue to test her water. Wont get that from Dr.Fosters

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This town used to have quite a few good fish stores but now there are not many locals left thanks to PetSmart.I try to support the shops that are still open even though they are quite a few miles from me and rarely have better prices than on line.I pretty much refuse to buy fish foods over the counter due to the high prices.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Support your LFS if you can or they to will close up and the only option will be online. Don't know about you guys but I miss blockbuster kicking myself now for supporting redbox.

My LFS is a little more expensive but when I heard them turn down a sale because a customers tank wasn't ready (not cycled) and the current stock wouldn't work it made me happy I shop there. They also went on to explain what a cycle was because petco sold this customer an oscar, angels and I think a black ghost knife (from customers description) to start her 55 gallon. They also offered to continue to test her water. Wont get that from Dr.Fosters

whaaaaat?!?! I do not miss Blockbuster at all! $4 for a crappy VHS tape for 24 hours. Good riddance.

Definitely support my local LFS though, I agree, it's nice to have a place to go in person so I want my LFS to stay open. I try to mix it up, purchase some online and some from the LFS.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
On the flip side to supporting local shops,I don't expect to have my behind kissed while I am there but it's downright disconcerting to have to interact with ignorant,indifferent and sometimes insolent staff members which is most of what you get from the young part timers but oftentimes even the owners display such behavior...I once got into it with a cashier after she did not want to bag the items I just purchased...she claimed the line was long and she was too busy to bag the items...Really?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
If you want cheap prices, go here:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/

I've exclusively bought from here after some bad shipping experiences. For all my orders they were packaged very well. Dedicates such as heaters are bubble wrapped by themselves along with regular packing goodies to ensure it arrives safe. Purchasing over 100 dollars will give you free shipping which is significantly cheaper than any other site I've been to

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Petco is garbage...LOL Especially if you work there. They got there know it all "associates" that talk out of there bum.... I mostly pick up from my LFs. dont mind fish store hopping either which is fun.

Imo if petco buys F&S its gonna compete with all the other online retailers. petco website has better deals online then they do in there own store....

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
I do work at Petco and was horrified when I heard the news on the company internal website. I frequently buy from F&S but now, probably not. The only reason that I shop at Petco is because of the employee discount and that I get to order the fish that I want. On a different note, some of us that do work there, not many but some, refuse to sell to ignorant or just un-imformed custmers. Some of these customers do get very rude when you try to explain that a goldfish, pleco and 5 silver dollars can't go into their new 20 gallon. So while it is most of the employees that don't know or care about fish, some of us do. I really appreciate when a customer takes my advice about how to do a fish less cycle or the best way to maintain and stock their tanks. I also support my local stores and send customers to them when it's something that I can't offer them at a reasonable price, I don't get commission after all LOL. Sorry to be so long winded but I guess I'll be trying that pet place and Ken's from now on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store