Trout Tank

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
dig the tank for sure. trout are just slightly to much effort for me to keep haha My creek tank has easier species to keep happy lol. similar to yours with rainbow, greenside, johnny and swamp darters, 6 blacknose dace, some type of minnow I gave up ID'ing, an angry little fingerling LMB, 2 mottled sculpins, and my pride and joy madtom-the only madtom I've ever managed to find/dipnet.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
dig the tank for sure. trout are just slightly to much effort for me to keep haha My creek tank has easier species to keep happy lol. similar to yours with rainbow, greenside, johnny and swamp darters, 6 blacknose dace, some type of minnow I gave up ID'ing, an angry little fingerling LMB, 2 mottled sculpins, and my pride and joy madtom-the only madtom I've ever managed to find/dipnet.
Thanks, predator. I wish I had more darter diversity, but there is time for that... I would like to see your tank, have you started a thread on it? I would also like to see pictures of that minnow, if you know where it was collected I could help you ID it. Good luck with your stock as that bass gets bigger...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thanks, predator. I wish I had more darter diversity, but there is time for that... I would like to see your tank, have you started a thread on it? I would also like to see pictures of that minnow, if you know where it was collected I could help you ID it. Good luck with your stock as that bass gets bigger...
I actually haven't started a thread on that tank yet. I'll get some pics up later of it. The LMB is just hanging out in there for the time being until he puts size on him. My other growout tank contains a 3-4 " grass pickerel so I knew that wasn't a viable place for him to thrive haha. Hes actually very relaxed with the other fish, he attacks me now when I put my hand in the tank haha, 2" of lightning fast fury. As the minnow puts size on he looks more and more like the dace he is with but I just can't help but think he looks ever so slightly different somehow. I'll get a pic of him too.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
P.S. that minnow was pulled out of a creek right down the road from me along with the dace, taylor run creek which turns into slippery rock creek, western PA.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
P.S. that minnow was pulled out of a creek right down the road from me along with the dace, taylor run creek which turns into slippery rock creek, western PA.
Hey you're back! How've you been man, haven't seen you around here in a while.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey you're back! How've you been man, haven't seen you around here in a while.
haha hey bro, I'm good, just working like a dog lol. ya I took a break from here for a while....that whole LNG incident left some bad feelings in my mind haha. But i'm back now lol. whats up with you? any new additions to the tanks?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
haha hey bro, I'm good, just working like a dog lol. ya I took a break from here for a while....that whole LNG incident left some bad feelings in my mind haha. But i'm back now lol. whats up with you? any new additions to the tanks?
I feel you, school has me going insane already, I'm soon downgrading from 18 tanks to 6 larger sized ones (large for me, small for this site haha). Can't remember the last time I did a tank update on here but I've got a few Darter tanks (6 species I'm keeping at the moment), some Cyprinid tanks (Minnows, Dace, Shiners, etc), 7 little Yellow Perch, a YOY Bluegill, my big female Green Sunfish, Sarge my Yellow Bullhead, a few Central Mudminnows, a trio of Bluenose shiners, and a couple tanks of random tropicals. What's going on with your tanks?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I feel you, school has me going insane already, I'm soon downgrading from 18 tanks to 6 larger sized ones (large for me, small for this site haha). Can't remember the last time I did a tank update on here but I've got a few Darter tanks (6 species I'm keeping at the moment), some Cyprinid tanks (Minnows, Dace, Shiners, etc), 7 little Yellow Perch, a YOY Bluegill, my big female Green Sunfish, Sarge my Yellow Bullhead, a few Central Mudminnows, a trio of Bluenose shiners, and a couple tanks of random tropicals. What's going on with your tanks?
haha trying your hand at the perch again eh? My tanks are all good, the 310 only has my channel and bullhead cat, 2 crappie, 1 p-seed, a coosae bass, and a grass pickerel as of right now. Growing out a LMB and another grass pickerel for the tank soon, as well as 2 more p-seeds lol. the creek tanks awesome now, dace, minnows, darters, sculpins, madtom, its pretty much perfect haha

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
haha trying your hand at the perch again eh? My tanks are all good, the 310 only has my channel and bullhead cat, 2 crappie, 1 p-seed, a coosae bass, and a grass pickerel as of right now. Growing out a LMB and another grass pickerel for the tank soon, as well as 2 more p-seeds lol. the creek tanks awesome now, dace, minnows, darters, sculpins, madtom, its pretty much perfect haha
Good to hear! Wow you're actually able to keep darters alive in a tank with sculpins, I'm impressed :)!. Yeah the perch are doing alright now, to put it in perspective I took 16 juvies home in July and I'm now down to 7 so they really aren't that hardy. I haven't had one die in a while though so I'm hoping I can raise this group to adulthood. I need to get another grass pickerel, mine disappeared within 24 hours because it was so small lol. Probably going to hit up Geneva again sometime soon, last time I was there I discovered there's plenty of yellow perch and northern pike in there too! Plus the usual central mud minnows and grass pickerel.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Brookkeeper, have any thoughts on hatchery Brook trout? I had someone on YouTube tell me that they got a few juveniles from a hatchery in southern NY and were able to grow them out in a 55 without a chiller at 66-68° with no problems. I've got a free 33 long plus a powerhead, think that would work to grow some out for a while? My ambient room temp in the winter is 66-69° and even in the spring doesn't normally go above 74°.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store