Quick 2 question for experienced poly keepers

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
Whats up MFK members, I just did a very large water change and I'm going out of town today for thanksgiving. I haven't fed my polys in 2 days but I have 3 feeders in there and all the bichirs were stalking them so I'm pretty sure their hungry but (1) do you know if water changes would disrupt their appetites? (2) Why do all my bichirs start swimming around when I put new water in? I know the quick burst of speed when their scared but it's not that they'll swim up and down the tank or side to side, why do they do this? I'll post some pictures of my collection when I get back in town, all the bichirs are getting big except my albino.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Whats up MFK members, I just did a very large water change and I'm going out of town today for thanksgiving. I haven't fed my polys in 2 days but I have 3 feeders in there and all the bichirs were stalking them so I'm pretty sure their hungry but (1) do you know if water changes would disrupt their appetites? (2) Why do all my bichirs start swimming around when I put new water in? I know the quick burst of speed when their scared but it's not that they'll swim up and down the tank or side to side, why do they do this? I'll post some pictures of my collection when I get back in town, all the bichirs are getting big except my albino.
Hey Papi, I will give you my two cents.
Personally I have found a large water change does disrupt their appetites and thus I have adapted my feeding regime to not feed them on water change days.( easy to do for me as I only feed every other day)
As far as increased activity after a water change, I have noticed that as well. It can be due the reduction of nitrates in your tank, it can also be a natural response to the fresh water coming into the system similar to a heavy rain in the wild.( stimulating migratory/breeding behaviour)

Good luck with things and get some pics of your bichirs up.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey Papi, I will give you my two cents.
Personally I have found a large water change does disrupt their appetites and thus I have adapted my feeding regime to not feed them on water change days.( easy to do for me as I only feed every other day)
As far as increased activity after a water change, I have noticed that as well. It can be due the reduction of nitrates in your tank, it can also be a natural response to the fresh water coming into the system similar to a heavy rain in the wild.( stimulating migratory/breeding behaviour)

Good luck with things and get some pics of your bichirs up.

I agree from my experience with my poly's same reaction, and don't feed them on wc day because noticed food was wasted.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
increased activity is the norm, like it was stated, just like a rain fall stimulates life underwater in nature Tip-the more *natural* you can make things the better your wet pet will adapt to living in a glass box.

Feeding is up to the user, there have been many stories on her about forgotten fish that have not been fed in months. Still alive although emaciated, they will be OK if you miss a few feedings to flush their bathroom (ie: water change) I normally feed all my fish, but my fancy goldies every other day or so. It cuts down on water changes and food costs. The fish live great and I haven't lost any do to sickness or bugs, or ... in many months.

Reactions: Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
Thanks for the advice I bought some frozen shad and cut the lights off and it was a feeding frenzy. I try no to starve them too much so my 3 inch new del doesn't come up missing

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Thanks for the advice I bought some frozen shad and cut the lights off and it was a feeding frenzy. I try no to starve them too much so my 3 inch new del doesn't come up missing
Yeah, don't starve growing fish. All mine are full grown for the most part. only my Ornate is still little at only 5 or 6"

Champagne Papi

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
What species and what are their sizes? And I know how you feel about a small ornate mines taking forever to grow
Yeah, don't starve growing fish. All mine are full grown for the most part. only my Ornate is still little at only 5 or 6"

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Off the top of my head...

x6 senegals, x3 were albinos (one 'spud' owned still)
x2 Delhezi
x2 Ornates (one owned still)
x1 Palmas
x1 endlicheri

I sold off a few a couple years back (endi and big ornate with one del and the other sen's), some died during a tank failure and failure to catch an amonia spike in time (x2 albino's - 'Spud' lived through it, barely), and a couple attempted a break out.( del and palmas)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store