Need help(High school science fair project)

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Hey Everyone in need of help/ideas for my niece's school science fair project,_quick story background.. I had to take a break from fish keeping these last few months and now i've gotten back into it with new tanks and fish my niece in 9th grade has been noticing my set ups and how interesting it looks and wants to do some type of science project involving aquariums and aquatic life. I myself have been keeping fish for years so i know something about fish keeping and up keep but never thought on the line of a project. I got her two 10 gallon tank with filter and heaters and stuff. is there any ideas on what she can do for the project? she needs a question for the project and a hypothesis. any ideas are welcome -thanks in advance

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
My high school project, back in the stone age, was in performing a parthenogenetic reproduction of Polypterus ornatipinnis. At the time, this species had never been spawned in captivity. I conditioned females to egg development then,injected them in the caudal base with home-decanted PMSG (pregnant mare serum gonadotropin). This caused the females to release their eggs quickly.I had blood from the adults standing by in agar prep petri dishes. Using a microscope and home-made extraction vacuum jig, I withdrew a nucleus from a blood cell and injected the nucleus into an egg. Keep in mind that fish do not possess marrow to develop new blood cells. Their blood cells are nucleated and self-replicate. I was successful in injecting 3 dozen eggs before the viability of the blood cell nuclei dropped to unusable. Then, it was a simple matter of artificially incubating the eggs in a hatcher until perfect clones of the adult female hatched out from the eggs.

Note: before injecting the nucleus from the blood cell (these nuclei had both chromosome sets from the parents of the female), the egg's nucleus (single chromosome pair) had to be neutralized. This was accomplished via a short burst of focused short-wave UV light. Pricking the egg membrane caused the egg to sense whether it had been fertilized. When the egg's hormones discovered the 2nd set of chromosomes, the egg initiated development.

Nowadays, the messy PMSG steps can be bypassed by purchasing ready-made OvaPrim, which is a hatchery injectable spawning hormone supplied by Syndel corp.

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
My high school project, back in the stone age, was in performing a parthenogenetic reproduction of Polypterus ornatipinnis. At the time, this species had never been spawned in captivity. I conditioned females to egg development then,injected them in the caudal base with home-decanted PMSG (pregnant mare serum gonadotropin). This caused the females to release their eggs quickly.I had blood from the adults standing by in agar prep petri dishes. Using a microscope and home-made extraction vacuum jig, I withdrew a nucleus from a blood cell and injected the nucleus into an egg. Keep in mind that fish do not possess marrow to develop new blood cells. Their blood cells are nucleated and self-replicate. I was successful in injecting 3 dozen eggs before the viability of the blood cell nuclei dropped to unusable. Then, it was a simple matter of artificially incubating the eggs in a hatcher until perfect clones of the adult female hatched out from the eggs.

Note: before injecting the nucleus from the blood cell (these nuclei had both chromosome sets from the parents of the female), the egg's nucleus (single chromosome pair) had to be neutralized. This was accomplished via a short burst of focused short-wave UV light. Pricking the egg membrane caused the egg to sense whether it had been fertilized. When the egg's hormones discovered the 2nd set of chromosomes, the egg initiated development.

Nowadays, the messy PMSG steps can be bypassed by purchasing ready-made OaiPrim, which is a hatchery injectable spawning hormone supplied by Syndel corp.[/QUOTE

honestly that sounds like it would be a lot of fun to do. but that might take some time.. I was thinking on the lines of something i can make happen over the couple of weeks. short simple and enjoyable

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
honestly that sounds like it would be a lot of fun to do. but that might take some time.. I was thinking on the lines of something i can make happen over the couple of weeks. short simple and enjoyable

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A quick demonstration of the life-cycle of Triops shrimp may serve your purpose. These shrimp inhabit vernal pools. Their eggs remain in dry stasis awaiting seasonal rains. In the time they're active (from puddle development to the vernal pool drying out), these shrimp must hatch, quickly grow to maturity, and reproduce. The new eggs going into stasis to await the next year's rains.

Triops eggs, and full kits, are available on eBay and Amazon.

4774-2.jpg triop5.jpg triops.jpg

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
I like where that is going. Appreciate it . If you got anymore ideas keep them going the more options I present to her the better. Anything I can do with plants or saltwater she has a really picky teacher

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
A quick demonstration of the life-cycle of Triops shrimp may serve your purpose. These shrimp inhabit vernal pools. Their eggs remain in dry stasis awaiting seasonal rains. In the time they're active (from puddle development to the vernal pool drying out), these shrimp must hatch, quickly grow to maturity, and reproduce. The new eggs going into stasis to await the next year's rains.

Triops eggs, and full kits, are available on eBay and Amazon.

View attachment 1156463 View attachment 1156464 View attachment 1156465
That is an awesome idea!!
I am stunned at your cranial capacity sir!!!
That is what makes MFK such a well-spring.

What about creating a small demonstration of a brine shrimp hatchery.....the hatchery can be constructed using a 1-2L plastic bottle and an air pump....the brine shrimp could then be displayed in a small "grow-out" aquarium.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
That is an awesome idea!!
I am stunned at your cranial capacity sir!!!
That is what makes MFK such a well-spring.

What about creating a small demonstration of a brine shrimp hatchery.....the hatchery can be constructed using a 1-2L plastic bottle and an air pump....the brine shrimp could then be displayed in a small "grow-out" aquarium.
If you do this be sure to have masking panels to block the light from all but the top inch of the tank or bottle. Shine a light at the surface, from a side angle, and the newly hatched nauplii will be attracted towards the light and concentrate their numbers in the brightest area of the vessel. This makes them a bit easier to observe.

Note how the nauplii concentrate at the light spot.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: boldtogether
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store