White Blotches on Turtle's Shell... Help???

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Just noticed this. He's a southern painted turtle and his tank has UVA & UVB lighting, I give him plenty of calcium, and the water is very clean and at a good temperature. I haven't noticed any strange behavior other than A LOT of basking... Like, most of the day. Can anyone please help? image.jpg
You can sort of see it in the lower right corner of the shell (the rest is just him shedding). Is this just shedding as well? I'd try to get a better picture but my phone camera can't focus properly when it's too close. Can anyone help?

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Looks like it's just calcium-buildup/hard-water stains to me. On 2nd thought, are you sure it's a S. Painted?
Ok, that puts me at ease a bit haha. As to what kind of turtle he is, to be honest I'm not entirely sure. I got it from a friend, who got it from his sister, who got it from her roommate, and her roommate claimed it was a southern painted (I wasn't sure if it actually was but I couldn't identify the species so I just went with it). To this day I'm still not actually sure though.
Also... Should I be concerned about the hardness of my water?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Probably not a big deal, tbh. Water hardness never affected any of my reptiles or amphibians.

Can you show me a picture of the UNDERSIDE?

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
Just noticed this. He's a southern painted turtle and his tank has UVA & UVB lighting, I give him plenty of calcium, and the water is very clean and at a good temperature. I haven't noticed any strange behavior other than A LOT of basking... Like, most of the day. Can anyone please help? View attachment 1162846
You can sort of see it in the lower right corner of the shell (the rest is just him shedding). Is this just shedding as well? I'd try to get a better picture but my phone camera can't focus properly when it's too close. Can anyone help?
Just hard water staining/calcium buildup and shedding scutes. Nothing to worry about. If super concerned just scrub with a little lemon juice and a tooth brush and it'll come right offl.

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Glad to know it's not an infection or anything. Here are some more pictures of him. In some of the pictures he looks a bit like an eastern painted, but I've housed him with these before and he stands out.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Sorry some of them are blurry, the little guy never stops moving.image.jpeg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yea, to me that looks more like a Cooter or a Chicken turtle or something. It has the stripe that only the Southern Painteds have, but the rest of the colors and markings are not painted.

Also white vinegar is safe too if you don't have lemon juice.

On 2nd thought, maybe it is a painted...says here "red or yellow stripe down the carapace, plastron yellow and unmarked". I was looking for some red where the front legs meet the body, but this one just might not have any. Nothing else in N. America has that stripe and looks like that....lemme check out yellow-bellied slider...but IDR them having a stripe..

whatever it is, it's female

Last edited:

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Female? Wow, how can you tell? I'm curious because need a way to determine my turtles' sex other than claw length and the concave/convex plastron.
She does have some red on her, but it's very very faint. And it's only on the edges of the bottom of the shell. Again, extremely faint.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Female? Wow, how can you tell? I'm curious because need a way to determine my turtles' sex other than claw length and the concave/convex plastron.
She does have some red on her, but it's very very faint. And it's only on the edges of the bottom of the shell. Again, extremely faint.
Dude, those short claws are a dead giveaway. Males always have ridiculously long claws and the females are always short like hers. I had a male Eastern painted and at 4", his claws were about 3/4". As freakish as that sounds, it is in fact reality with turtles. Snappers are much easier.....just look or pressure (gently) for the "hemipenal"-bulge like you would a snake. Longer tails = easy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store